• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this martial art. I am looking at starting training in this but I have read alot of negative comments on the net. Most of the bad press appears to centre around the polotics rather than the art itself.

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the training, and whether the claims of the health benefits hold up. I'm particulary interested in whether this art is better for your joints than TKD.

Many thanks for any info in advance.

Bartrum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can't say I know much about it but Kwang Jo Choi (who founded the style) was one of the 12 original master's of TKD and he was ITF TKD based so the style definitely has some pedigree to it and a good lineage (if you care about such things). He also developed it because of a TKD training injury and wanted something that was better for him so maybe it is better for you health-wise.

TBH I wouldn't say that TKD is particularly bad for your joints. The majority of the original masters still train even after a lifetime of doing it. FGM Rhee for example still trains and I'd love to have half the mobility he does at his age. I mean, he's the same age as my grandparents yet not old and decrepit like they are :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Many thanks for your reply DW.

One of the reasons I asked about the health quotes from CKD was because I am a former ITF TKD student who has had problems with joints (I can't solely attribute this to TKD as I also played alot of football). Having heard of Kwang Jo Choi's claims of his own problems I was interested to see if CKD was any good.

Think I will give it a try and see what its like.

Oh ok cool. What sort of problems did you have? Just wondering because I'm also ITF, maybe its something I should be protecting against in the future...

From what's on YouTube, CKD does looks a lot softer but with stuff like this I'm not overly impressed:

Especially with the pad work there seems to be nothing there, the pad's not even moving due to the strikes. Maybe its not that representative of the style, so yeah I would check it out. If you've had prior training you'll know what to look for :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Tried looking for the patterns to this and from YouTube it seems that the lower forms are virtually the same as the higher ones.

Does anyone have access to the patterns in written form or are they sworn to secrecy.

It seems like its outside parry, hook, hook, uppercut, jab/cross, duck/weave, hook, strange type of kick then Superman punch, turn 90 degrees then do it again.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)