• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow. I feel like I can relate to your situation quite a bit actually.

I too began training karate seriously around age 15, and furthermore I too was homeless by age 19. However this wasn't because of eviction, but rather, because a hurricane came and destroyed my city six years ago. I lost my house, I lost my work, my college was gone, I had no savings, no dojo, no food, no spare clothes and nowhere to go. I didn't even have my gi or my new blackbelt that I had been awarded no more than two months prior.

For the first two weeks I just stayed in a crowded truck stop with my parents waiting, hoping, praying, as one by one each of my family members came back from what seemed like liquid death. But then something funny happened in the third week... as the urgency of the moment waned, I began filling my useless days with kata. Much to my aunts' and uncles' amusement I would turn my back on the constant flow of devastation that had us all glued to the screen, and instead would train my heians and sentei again and again until I began to feel better.

It really is amazing what positive thinking can do.

Soon, with the great help of a distant contact I was out of there. I flew to a city on the other side of the continental US, and begged their local college to admit me. To my surprise, they did. There they had a swiftly growing karate club, with which I trained as much as possible. Because I was one of only five black belts at the time, the club asked me to teach for a small portion of their annual training camp, which was shortly before the end of the semester. Taken by surprise, I had no idea what I could possibly convey to a huge room of people that would help their karate.... So then, I just walked up to the front and said to them all:

"As I am still a novice, I can't teach you guys much waza. But I can tell you something I recently learned: Even if you have nothing, no money, no place to live, no work, no status, you can still have karate. Those other things are insignificant because they can be taken from you. On the other hand, if you train hard, then as long as you live no one can take away your karate. What a wonderful gift we all have been given! I hope that you will always treasure it."

Karateka63,

Now that you know pretty much everything there is to know about me, I hope you'll understand where I am coming from when I give you this advise:

Just get out there. I know it seems daunting to leave home and take that big step, especially if your life is in flux, but sometimes these are the best moments to ride the wave of change so to speak. If you are 19 and interested in college (as I'm guessing you are by your original post), then go out and do it! I know it is expensive, but there are scholarships, need-based grants, even loans if you must. Many colleges have karate clubs with which you can train for little to no money. Meanwhile, you can find a career that suits you, and better your life in the future.

I'm not trying to sound preachy or anything. I am just trying to give you encouragement, since I was once in a similar situation. You can do it! Just don't lose hope!

Domo Arigata :) It seems your life episode makes me seem like I'm whining lol and I'll admit I am a little bit but for the most part no I'm not

see my main problem is I have to concentrate on adult essentials be4 I can get back into an actual dojo without it costing my mother money and it costing my desired future,

granted we are stable with our house now but asking my mother for things has always struck me with guilt even be4 the eviction, I've always been that way seens how I matured at a young age due to the horrible environment my childhood was wasted on.

my goal in life is to be a : privet music teacher/martial arts instructor

I want to fuse these jobs together but I desire the college backround to show parents and children that I'm not some guy who talks alot of hot air.

Martial Arts is 90% Mental and Only 10% Physical.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This might be a longshot and I certainly don't know your whole situation, but have you considered moving to a bigger town? You're an adult now, it sounds like you're struggling, maybe you could use a new start. You could definetely make more money in a bigger city. We have so many dojos in Portland; senseis compete to keep good students so there classes don't get too small. Lots of the schools are not for profit. There are a lot of good schools where you can train for $20-$40 a month. Go west Young Man.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

That's the best karate testimonial I have ever heard.

I concur!! And if this helps you at all...you're not alone because here at KF; we're a family.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's the best karate testimonial I have ever heard.

I concur!! And if this helps you at all...you're not alone because here at KF; we're a family.

:)

OSU!!!!

I totally agree

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Training alone is hard to do. But, I would say to stick with it, and don't let yourself get down. Shizentai made very good points. Even if you only work yourself for a half hour a day, you can find various ways to mix things up and keep it interesting for yourself.

Putting out an ad for training partners isn't a bad way to go, either. There may be someone like you nearby that is looking for the same thing.

Best of luck to you, and keep your focus. :karate:

see my main problem is I have to concentrate on adult essentials be4 I can get back into an actual dojo without it costing my mother money and it costing my desired future,

granted we are stable with our house now but asking my mother for things has always struck me with guilt even be4 the eviction,

I want to fuse these jobs together but I desire the college backround to show parents and children that I'm not some guy who talks alot of hot air.

[edit: I misunderstood a previous post I think]

I have to commend you for being so caring for your mother's well-being. However, I dare say that she'd probably also hope that you wouldn't sacrifice your own career goals on her behalf. The best way to prepare to teach martial arts is to train yourself. So I do wish you the best there. Do you know if the college you will be attending (this fall?) has a karate club?

Just as a word of caution though, I have in my life only met one person that was able to pull off being a full-time martial arts instructor, and he did so with a lot of difficulty. It's a difficult thing to try to do. That being said, a good friend of mine is actually a private music teacher and teaches kids' karate too. So it's not impossible. Do your best!

-Shizentai

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

granted we are stable with our house now but asking my mother for things has always struck me with guilt even be4 the eviction,

[edit: I misunderstood a previous post I think]

I have to commend you for being so caring for your mother's well-being. However, I dare say that she'd probably also hope that you wouldn't sacrifice your own career goals on her behalf. The best way to prepare to teach martial arts is to train yourself. So I do wish you the best there. Do you know if the college you will be attending (this fall?) has a karate club?

Just as a word of caution though, I have in my life only met one person that was able to pull off being a full-time martial arts instructor, and he did so with a lot of difficulty. It's a difficult thing to try to do. That being said, a good friend of mine is actually a private music teacher and teaches kids' karate too. So it's not impossible. Do your best!

-Shizentai

yes the college I'm attending does have martial arts clubs and a weight room! :)

Martial Arts is 90% Mental and Only 10% Physical.

Karateka63,

Here is a good link to start with. You're within 20 miles of one of the top Matsubayashi Ryu people in the US, Hanshi Frank Grant. Closer to some others. Ohio has a strong representation of Matsubayashi in the US, look around and I'm willing to bet you'll find some good folks teaching for very low prices. However, you're going to have to look for them because they may not be on the net or even in the phone book.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 1 month later...