• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I went to a TSD class today to watch. It was pretty good from what I can see. Testing is by invitation from instructor only. They also teach Gumdo to advanced students, way more advanced, since the use live blades most of the time.

Anyway I was wondering what some of the differences were between TKD and TSD. Any help would be great, thanx.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I used to do TSD, now I do TKD (cause I moved and there was no TSD dojangs here). The only difference I see is I'm at a Mcdojang (TKD)!!!!! ggggrrrrrr. I still love TSD, and I miss it ALOT. But I'm not holding that against TKD itself. Just this dojang. HELP!!!!

Anyways, the difference between the two schools I went to, are:

TSD: more self defense (I defended myself on the street with). TKD: once a month we learn self defense if we are lucky (compared to, at least, two times a week in TSD).

TKD: (my dojang anyhow) is way too expensive. TSD: my instructor/owner of the school was more concerned with TEACHING, not the "business/money" side of it.

TSD: more hand techniques, but yet, the forms were hard as hell (kept me on my toes LOL. I loved the challage).

TSD: more take-downs (I actually learned how to fall for take-downs also).

TSD: I know most TSD schools don't have this, but I learned some Thai boxing (my instructor studied Thai boxing at one time as well as Hapkido, which he blended in our training). I have a mean roundhouse (Thai style) cause of it. And I can bunch/elbow/knee as good as a guy twice my size (I can brag here right???? :D )

I loved TSD, but my instructor mixed in other styles to make it "more rounded", so I donno if this is what you are looking for.

Laurie F

I studied in NJ under the International Martial Arts Assn. But My instructor "bended" the rules a bit hehehehe. We did TSD forms and one step sparring, but we did what my instructor called, spagetti self defense LOL. It was a compo of Thai, Hapkido, and whatever else he wanted to throw in there. But he picked some amazing, affective stuff that just blew us away. I had the bruises to prove it LOL. He also studied TKD before TSD, so we did some TKD style sparring/combos sometimes.

Laurie F