• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How To Get Out of a Bear Hug From the Back?

april

No escape will work once a competent 'bear' has it on . You have to start the escape before its on on or while its happening . Standing there and letting your partner get a full bear hug on and THEN trying to escape ..... fail (unless they are incompetent ) .

About a month ago we where practicing rear bear hug escapes - bunkais from Niharchin Nidan and the end of Pinan Sandan and some others . yeah yeah , blah blah , we know all that , so then I decided to let him get it on and ' see what happens' .

I was immediately lifted, he twisted around and threw me to the ground - a classic wrestling move . I thought , good , I am gonna hang on to him and as we land , I will use the momentum to twist, tuen him over and slip in for a scarf hold and submission .

Nice plan , except it didnt come off , I landed on my side, with him on top of me and my left fist against my ribcage .... so the stacking order was ; hard ground , my fist, my rib, my body weight, his body weight, plus our momentum = 1 Costochondral separation.

It didnt hurt - at the time , I was still contemplating burrowing into his side for the scarf hold , but that pop and glllutch/tear noise that just came outa my chest made me hesitate .

We got up - Ah ! So thats what happens if you let them get the hold on before you move .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an excellent point and I don't want to take away from the good, real self-defense discussion.

However, I recently saw a video on this topic where the person suggesting just pooping yourself. It was a joke but, I mean, would you want to hold on to someone that had just pooped themselves? Seems pretty effective to me.

Now that's an extreme circumstance! If you've got one loaded, that is....

I believe it was Matsumura "Bushi" Sokon who said "an effective karateka always keeps one loaded."

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

That's an excellent point and I don't want to take away from the good, real self-defense discussion.

However, I recently saw a video on this topic where the person suggesting just pooping yourself. It was a joke but, I mean, would you want to hold on to someone that had just pooped themselves? Seems pretty effective to me.

I believe it was Matsumura "Bushi" Sokon who said "an effective karateka always keeps one loaded."

:lol:

Ewwww ....

saw a film of a match where during groundscrabble one guy started messing his pants, unbeknown to him , but known by the other , the other is madly trying to get away and escape , the pooper is thinking " I sure got this guy on the run , he seems scared of me ! "

Oh yeah .... he was .

I recommend wearing nappy under gi for tournament .