• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anderson Silva's recent Karate

Isshin-Vegg

I thought the kick came from bringing his knee up, then using his hips and quadriceps to thrust his foot up and forward.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a snap kick. Silva's snap kick is a little different from Machida's. TKD front snap kicks open up the hips a little more allowing for more rotation. Shotokan front snap kicks pushes off the supporting leg.

But neither were Thai thrusting kicks, which generally strikes with the heel and very often actually "pushes" the opponent away. Thai thrusting front kicks aren't actually intended to knock out but to knock opponents off balance.

Thanks everyone. Especially brickshooter and tsd because you guys explained his TKD background and more insight into Sliva's background and type/why his kick differed from karate kicks.

So overall very little impact for karate unless people think it's karate and join for that reason haha. :karate: cool

Also I can't believe how many replies this got. I expected like 3 in total. Again haha

• 2 weeks later...

I learned how to throw a kick in second grade, but how effective was it? Is it possible that Seagal who is a 7th or 8th Dan refined it? Anderson said he helped him so....regardless of style he used a solid basic technique. I think he represents the evolution of martial arts; taking TKD, Muy Thai, Boxing and BJJ and making it work for him. I say it helps Karate because he used a martial arts technique and karate is one of many martial arts.

There is only one way to fight, but many ways to train how to fight.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Lyoto Machida's jumping mae geri "Knockout of the Night" at UFC 129 which put Randy Couture in retirement was the karate kick nobody missed.

Bruce the real Dragon (sorry but Machida was born in 1978 the year of the Horse) Lee said, "There is only one type of body, 2 arms, 2 legs... there can only be one style of fighting", which I take to mean every striking style is going to have the same basic techniques.

Will McLay

Happy Dragon Martial Arts

Karate Brisbane

• 3 weeks later...
"There is only one type of body, 2 arms, 2 legs... there can only be one style of fighting".

Could not have said it better. I agree 100%

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 1 month later...

He looked very good versus Okami!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
guys the kick came from his tkd background. Do a quick check and you will see he has also done tkd for many years. Thats wear the front snap kick came from. Not seagal or Thai. plain old tkd. If it had been a Thai front kick it would of been a push kick. In all my years i have never seen a Thai fighter trough a snap kick. Now i could b mistaken. So if i am wrong I can be corrected.

You're right, Thai front kicks are more of a thrust...now to your other reply...TKD is Karate, since General Choi Hong Hi developed it after learning Karate during his college years in Japan, which most Japanese college karate clubs are either Shotokan (Shorin-ryu) or Goju-ryu. Both of these styles use a front snap and a front thrust kick. So was it karate? Some may say it was Kung-fu, depends on how you look at history, but I'd look at it from a training standpoint at which I'd agree with you...easily a TKD front kick.

Shawn Vivacqua

Shotokan Karate

Ryukoku Seidokan Karate Kobudo Renmei

"True Bunkai lies in the mind of the practitioner, there is no right or wrong bunkai, only what works."

• 3 weeks later...

Latest front kick: Justin Buchholz against Steve Lopez. The vertical guard used in MMA (the "cage") is having serious issues stopping the front kick. Notice that Lopez anticipated the kick with a block. Unfortunately, like Randy Couture, he anticipated a round kick.

Anyone notice the angle of contact? It's like an uppercut. But at long range.

BTW, anyone else notices that in all of these fights, the guy eating the kick isn't understanding the range of the front kick? It isn't only that they're anticipating the round kick. It's that they're late in raising their guard.

Edited by brickshooter