• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anderson Silva's recent Karate

Isshin-Vegg

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this as I am obviously new to this forum, but I would like to just get people's opinions on Anderson Silva doing high front kicks to knock his more recent foes out (ex. Vitor Belfort). I believe he's been practicing Aikido (if I spelt that right) with Steven Seagal, so do you guys think Anderson is bringing attention to Karate and helping it or do you think people are ignoring it and accrediting his KOs to Muay Thai or just himself in general?

So basically, are Silva + Seagal doing good for Karate or is this kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxXQxGvI-iY watch at 3:07 that's the replay) just not helping our community at all?

As far as I know many appreciate Machida so maybe Silva is helping now too. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that it has any impact on karate at all. Yes is did do some work with Steven Seagal . But even if he did pick anything up from him it would be aikido not a jumping snap kick or a high snap kick last i seen seagal doesn't leave the ground too much. So i wold think its just him in general Anderson first and fore most is a martial artist always evolving. Also i believe Anderson him self has a black belt in tkd so that's wear the kicks came from. so I guess you cold say its karate but tkd i would not consider karate. I would consider it its oun style. Off topic sorry.

I think it's awesome that good solid Karate techniques are winning big stage fights. GSP and Machida both holding belts in two weight classes was pretty cool. I respect all martial arts, but admittedly was getting pretty tired of hearing all these guys that train in a BJJ/Muay Thai gym for a few months acting like Karate is a complete waste of time. All martial arts deserve respect. If Karate has to flex a little in the octagon to get that respect, that's fine; I'll be enjoying the show.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

rmurray if this was Youtube I would give a thumbs up to your statement man. I agree with it all. :D

OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Respectfully, it's been made very clear that Silva was making a joke when he said Segal taught him that move. Same goes with Machida. Machida was a champion Karateka and Silva has been practicing Muay Thai for years. I don't think Steven Segal was the one who introduced them to the front kick.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yeah I knew Machida had know the front kick ever since he was 3. I just am not to familiar with Muay Thai other than that it's kick boxing done at very young ages to older ones, and that they're know for their roundhouse kicks to the head. Although I should have know it was a joke seeing as Okinawa got most of their kicking techniques from Southeast Asia.

And dobbersky idk if I should know this, but i dont know what OSU means.

To him in general. I think usually when it comes to MMA fighters, people do pay attention to styles they practise, but in the end it is secondary to the fighter himself. Since everybody knows, just because many MMA guys train Muay Thai, doesn't mean Muay Thai's the only way to go.

If something, it might have an impact, what do they say about the styles they've practised - here: karate.

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

I think at the professional level, fighters don't give a crap about style. They just want to either learn the attack, or how to defend against it. What ever it takes to win the bout and the trophy money. Therefore, a lot of fighters are taking notes especially at the middle and light heavy weight class where they're more likely to face Machida or Silva.

Debates and discredits generally go on at the very amateur weekend warrior level where the big & fat 300lbs fighter is insecure that he may not be getting the deadliest techniques. And so his instructor has to calm things down by instilling to the student the best propaganda he can muster up.

guys the kick came from his tkd background. Do a quick check and you will see he has also done tkd for many years. Thats wear the front snap kick came from. Not seagal or Thai. plain old tkd. If it had been a Thai front kick it would of been a push kick. In all my years i have never seen a Thai fighter trough a snap kick. Now i could b mistaken. So if i am wrong I can be corrected.