• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nunchuka

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1st suggestion, the corret spelling is "nunchaku".

Secondly, forget websites. Find a qualified and legitimate instructor to teach you proper technique. Easiest was to tell if a person knows what they're doing or not is to see where they hold the weapon. Are they holding it close to the string/chain?

If so...PASS! They don't know what they're doing.

Unless of course all you're interested in is flash, not effectiveness...then go for it.

If you still want a website, go to Google and type in "nunchaku", or *shudder* "numchucks" and start sifting through a few million websites of garbage to find anything useful.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

1st suggestion, the corret spelling is "nunchaku".

Secondly, forget websites. Find a qualified and legitimate instructor to teach you proper technique. Easiest was to tell if a person knows what they're doing or not is to see where they hold the weapon. Are they holding it close to the string/chain?

If so...PASS! They don't know what they're doing.

Unless of course all you're interested in is flash, not effectiveness...then go for it.

If you still want a website, go to Google and type in "nunchaku", or *shudder* "numchucks" and start sifting through a few million websites of garbage to find anything useful.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nunchaku, in my opinion, are the most widely misused, abused and misunderstood martial arts weapon.

When I visit another dojo or go to a tournament and see all these people doing finger tip twirling, behing the neck, figure 8's, through the goin swings and such, I just CRINGE!!!

Very rarely do you see people do trapping techniques, nerve techniques and such.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody trained to use the nunchauku against a bo? Do you realize that the nunchauku can trap/capture the bo and make it useless?

I wish I had the available bandwidth with my pc and a video camera to do short videos of what I talk about on here so you can understand, but that's not possible.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Very rarely do you see people do trapping techniques, nerve techniques and such.

Very true. Used effectively, the chains/cord on a nunchaku can do nasty things to a wrist when it's wrapped properly, and the butt end can do a lot of damage when thrust into soft targets. I've rarely seen it trained in a self defense-oriented way like that though (might be due to legal carry concerns in many states) - it's always more slated towards flashy forms with lots of flips, catches, and elaborate figure eights. It does looks cool, but not super useful (at least in my opinion).

To the OP - one word of advice. If you're simply playing around (which you shouldn't be) go with the softer, rubber or foam coated variety, as you're much less likely to get hurt (or hurt a partner).

Nunchaku, in my opinion, are the most widely misused, abused and misunderstood martial arts weapon.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody trained to use the nunchauku against a bo? Do you realize that the nunchauku can trap/capture the bo and make it useless?

And using the chain linked nunchaku against a sword or using it to dismount a horseman (basically trapping an arm or foot as the rider is passing). Unfortunately all these techniques are short an unspectacular so they rarely get trained compared to the fancy flipping and twirling. Its a bit like a boxer training in pre-fight press conferences and then not bothering to punch a bag or jump a rope.

It does looks cool, but not super useful (at least in my opinion)

On the other hand there is nothing like playing with nunchaku to help you learn timing and awareness. I'm not so sure that just playing around with foam nunchaku is a bad thing, there is very little damage you can do with the safety versions and while they don't have the same feel as the real thing you do get some training value from just working out twirls and flips. After all, no-one would think of stopping someone from playing with a soccer ball which has similar training value for the feet. Obviously, playing around with a real wooden one that could knock you out, break bones or kill is a very different matter but the widely available safety foam nunchaku are pretty safe.

If one of my students walked into my dojo with a pair of foam nunchauku, I'd ask to see them and toss them in the garbage!

I've played with them before, and IMHO they are a total waste of time. Weight and movment-wise they are as different from real nunchauku as night and day. If you're going to learn the weapon, get a real weapon and take your lumps (knocks on the head, whacks to the elbow...and let's not forget the ever popular ball-basher!!!) :brow:

Edited by Montana