• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

easiest weapon?

Yeah. Nunchaku seem awkward to me.. Useful maybe, but awkward. My main experience with them is using them to demonstrate proper kicking technique.

Hold one end against your hip so that it hangs beside, but not touching, your thigh; with our kick mechanics, if you are doing the kick properly, the loose nunchaku end will swing completely parallel to your kicking leg all the way and not touch it while it's in the air, like a double-image shadow of your kicking leg.

Took a couple swings with it for kicks. I can see it being a useful peasant weapon, but it wouldn't be my first choice of things to pick up if I was on a farm and needed to improvise a weapon.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nunchaku look great but don't forget to wear a cricket box, even with foam chux. A basic nunchaku twirl is pretty easy to learn, even from a book as it becomes fairly obvious after a while that there are only so many ways that you can get the thing to move. Speed and accuracy require a lot of work but the basic movements are really not that hard. Unfortunately as it has a free-swinging part it is very difficult to practice slowly, you need the momentum behind the free end to make the pass or changeover in most cases.

Personally, for a fairly experienced karateka or similar I would say that the sai are a pretty easy weapon to learn the basics as they act as extensions to the normal hand movements of striking arts. Good for building forearm strength as well.

The bo is a simple weapon (in a mechanical sense) but from teaching quarterstaff I know that many beginners have to stop and thing about the grip and how that limits the strike/sweep paths available. We have had more than one staff fly across the room after an ambitious strike peeled away from an incorrect grip.

Tonfa are quite demanding due to the several different ways to hold them, swing them and change from one grip to the other. They are also a menace to sticky-out elbows as I have found to my cost.

Tennis racket with the thin edge would hurt like crazy, lightweight and easily accesible.

tried to find a appropriate Jim Cornette video to post, but they were all to offensive :lol:

Not wanting to sound like I'm trying to be all old and wise or anything, but easier to handle doesn't mean easy to use well. There is much to learn from the bo - grasshopper. Ha ha.

Agreed. If you think the bo is "easy"..then you aren't learning anything other than simple basics with the weapon. There are parrys, disarms, locks, sweeps, blocks, jabs, thrusts, etc etc etc...the vast majority of people think there's maybe 10 bo techniques...HA!

I've been working on the bo for 30+ years now, and I still discover new things to do with it.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Not wanting to sound like I'm trying to be all old and wise or anything, but easier to handle doesn't mean easy to use well. There is much to learn from the bo - grasshopper. Ha ha.

Agreed. If you think the bo is "easy"..then you aren't learning anything other than simple basics with the weapon. There are parrys, disarms, locks, sweeps, blocks, jabs, thrusts, etc etc etc...the vast majority of people think there's maybe 10 bo techniques...HA!

I've been working on the bo for 30+ years now, and I still discover new things to do with it.

Another solid post from Montana!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!