• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring with gear and without

I do not Spar at all without my Gear. So I wear it when I Spar. I am at 2nd Green Belt now heading into 3rd Green Belt and they are starting to hit harder now. Yes we are suppose to Spar with control but some have a tendency to forget that. I've taken a few nasty hits without the Gear on and let me tell you I never did that again.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things like this are at your sensei's discretion until you're skilled and experienced enough that you don't need to ask the question. Some people need the protection - not just to keep themselves safe, but to keep their training partners safe as well from their techniques for whatever reason - whether it be uncontrolled or just too hard for practice and their level. Others have very good control and temperament, and so it's less necessary.

This is a sensei decision, IMO. When you're ready to go without pads, you'll be aware of it.

The past no longer is.

The future has not yet come.

The sage calls a person who knows how to dwell in mindfulness night and day

'one who knows the better way to live alone.'

• 3 weeks later...

You should mix it up a bit. Getting all geared up to beat on each other every now and then is a blast and i love it. But that's not a fight. You're never going to get into a street fight and say "Time out! Let me put on my head gear!" Training with it does restrict your ability to move and see. So you need to get used to fighting without it. I would prefer to throw on just gloves with guys who are regulars at the gym. I trust them and they trust me. Protective gear is a very good guy when you get new members. Before taking off the gear with anyone new, first they have to understand something. Training isn't about proving anything to anyone. It's about practicing and getting better. Not beating up your training partners.

Oooooh...Spaceman Craig. This feels a lot more like home.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons