• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Harry Cook

sojobo

What could be seen as persecution could also be seen as justice. Maybe the State can not provide cruel and unusual punishment, but maybe the guy doing time for tax evasion can.

While I am glad that he will not be in a position to cause more harm, I cannot find that thought pleasant in any way. Does this sort of thing rehabilitate? No. Does it prevent? Apparently not. The only thing it does is to spread misery. There is plenty of misery in the world already. I really would prefer if they found a way to have such people be a safe and productive member of society who just happens to be in a situation where they cannot or will not be able to harm anyone again.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sad for the victim. :cry:

Mr. Cook, while he's an exceptional karateka, it would now appear that his teaching/writing career has come to a screeching halt.

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Its very sad in and art were character trust and respect and three main things taught to all styles of karate. that a leader and a man who so many respected would do that to a humen. As martial artes especially and instructor we are held to higher standers people trust us with there growth

mentally physically and spiritually. So to take advantage of a student is beyond redeemable. I truly hope the girl is ok and one day put this in the past. First and fore most concern is for the girl. Then there is the damage done not just to his style but all karate. In today's market wear bjj and mma are thriving traditional schools are declining. Then a monster appears in the media and does this. A man is position taking advantage of a student i truly hope they use the full might of the law on this man. You have to ask your self if being robed would he use the full might of his art to defined himself yes he probably would. So we need to use the full might of the law to defend this girl because what he robed her of can never be returned or replaced. its a dark time for karate and a darker time for the poar soul he disrespected

What could be seen as persecution could also be seen as justice. Maybe the State can not provide cruel and unusual punishment, but maybe the guy doing time for tax evasion can.

While I am glad that he will not be in a position to cause more harm, I cannot find that thought pleasant in any way. Does this sort of thing rehabilitate? No. Does it prevent? Apparently not. The only thing it does is to spread misery. There is plenty of misery in the world already. I really would prefer if they found a way to have such people be a safe and productive member of society who just happens to be in a situation where they cannot or will not be able to harm anyone again.

That may be the better way of looking at things, and you're probably right. I just don't feel that way. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I'm not perfect.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

....I don't mind being treated the exact same way as all of the male students in my dojo. .....
Yes, you are right about this. I suppose my comments were directed towards beginners, and children. When it comes to Ni Dan adult ladies, the relationship changes to one of professional respect.

BTW, I don't teach "per se". I find it difficult to run a class and train at the same time. I restrict myself to helping out when asked.

When you think about it, especially when it comes to kumite, the way you treat another has little to do with their gender, and more to do with what your partner finds acceptable. There are many males that do not like the contact that comes with sparring. My now deceased Sensei once told me that kumite is like having a conversation. Shouting is reserved for fights, something we should avoid.

We all like to think that perverts will be treated very harshly inside but if there was any danger to him he will be kept seperate from the general population. I have just read on another forum a statement from someone who knows him well (or thought they did). As it was over a length of time and he has pleaded guilty then it can't be called a "one off mistake", they also state that he has thrown away the lot.

This may have a wider effect on everyone, its bad enough my Sensei asking my permission to move my daughters wrist. There are guidelines in place for when working with children - I haven't read them yet but I suspect they are over the top already.

This is a massive abuse of trust.

The Good thing about this is that it a very very rare situtation as 99.99% of Martial Arts Instructors are bonefide and have CRB checks coming out of their ears. I feel for the victims.

If you take other Trusted Vocations like Social Workers, Teachers, Carers, Clergy etc, these have a higher percentage of cases for abuse, Social Workers having the highest percentage of cases against them.

I know it can be a bit OTT with regards to the Hands On approach that we use especailly when teaching and practicing application but as long as it is done openly and no where will 1 student and 1 Instructor will be alone, no matter the age of the student, I think this will be the best way forward.

The anoying thing is that the Good Instructors get tarnished with the same brush. Look what happened to the Catholic Church, the actual percentage of Priests involed in the abuse charges was less than 2% of the whole chuch, but the Press made it look like it was 90% of the Priests that were doing it.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

IMO, for the clergy, 2% is a lot. Wasn't the real problem the church's reluctance to discuss the situation openly, that they tried to close their eyes to the problem, and hide the perversion?

Karateka should welcome exposure, and discussion in order to promote a better situation.

Edited by honoluludesktop

stay on topic guys this is not about religion or church. It is about and animal and the hurt it had on a human and karate. now even though it was only one person percentage does not matter sadly society will just generalize it with karate. Now at this should not change the way people teach as said earlier physical contact is a must in karate. Just make sure there is alwess another instructor or jr instructor when alone with a female student for bout of yours protection

I'm hoping to train in the future and cases like this will strenthen the position of protecting yourself even more. If you are placed in the situation where its just you and a young female then you would have to insist that the parents remain or the lesson be scrapped.

Someone that is a very senior grade has proven that you just can't trust anyone based on what they are or what they've done.

The media will have a few headlines out of this but I doubt very much that it will have a big impact on the sport or art, it may have more of an effect locally for a while as people will know some or all of those concerned.

Apart from the victim I should imagine that the people most effected are his current and past students who may be feeling gutted that someone they held in very high esteem/honour/respect has done such a thing.