• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Effective training method?

The only other think I noted with the web site was that they primarily seem to be speaking of Japanese jiu jitsu when they talk about their jiu jitsu. That's fine, as long as you understand it's primarily a standing joint manipulation system. It's not what most people think of when they think of "mma" kind of training.

I do notice that they offer some BJJ classes. Great, much more in line with the mma concept. Here's the thing, I don't see any instructors listed for this program. That might, I emphasis might, be a red flag.

There are a lot of grappling programs out there, often associated with local mma schools, that are wrestling or shoot based. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have a major problem if they are doing submission grappling from other sources and calling it BJJ.

Of course, it might be a moot point. But it doesn't hurt to inquire about who will be teach the BJJ and what their background is.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's sort of what I was thinking. I ended up not going due to a broken nose (long story) and I gave it some thought. I just want to learn something for self defense as I live in a rough area. The only problem is I cant find hardly any schools that teach the actual art...there's only competition schools.

Well, thanks for the advice and for pointing out the "red flags." I'll let you know when, or if, I find another place to consider.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Competition martial art can be fine, if it's solid. Judo, for instance, is "competition", but those throws can really put the hurt on people, they're tough and can take a beating, and they have good fighting attributes. Boxers are similar. (The two combine really really well, too.) MMA is a pure competition art, but people never seem to dismiss it as "just being for sports".

What area are you looking for schools in? Maybe someone here knows of a school there that you might not have spotted.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I live in a suburb of Akron, Ohio. Most places near my area teach TKD which I'm not really interested in. Maybe I'm just being too picky though...

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Thanks for your input...I'll keep you posted on how it goes and I'll keep what you guys said in mind. Again, thanks!

Here is a link to their website:

http://zmakarate.com/base.htm

MCDOJO WARNING!!!!!!!!

It may be a really good school but its not somewhere I'd like to train or send my children to!!!!

the Rolling Syllabus doesn't give you any roots or grounding to build from. its like learning piano for 4 weeks then learning guitar, then drums then back to piano, you'd never get good at any instrument!!!

Sorry, but that's just the way I feel

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

No, don't be sorry. Any help is appreciated. I found a different school that is much better. It's very traditional, the head of the school has been teaching for over 30 years, and they are pretty serious about what they do which is what I like to see.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if would necessarily be a McDojo. He may have some good intentions, but just doesn't realize that the way of going about achieving his goals might be a tad ineffective.

• 1 month later...