Would You Like to Train Via Skype?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a webcam right now, either, but I think that this would be an interesting way to train. Instead of doing forms or such, it would be great to train with partners on different tactics and ideas from MAs, and if several from the same style get together, then the forms idea would be great.

I like this idea, Bob. I'll have to look into clearing a spot in my basement for all this!

Well Brian, clean out your basement please and let's train!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Who do we have here at KF that could answer questions about Skype?

Hhhhmmmmmmm...

Let me think....

:idea:

Aha....

Patrick!!

:bow:

With Patrick's permission first, of course.

:D

I don't see any way to get video where I live, honestly. I'd have to do some interesting stunts with extension cords (that I do not currently own) and move my closet just to get where I could show a ginga, and I wouldn't be able to do a lot of movements at all - such is the problem with a tiny apartment as befits a poor student. My netbook does have an integrated webcam, but I do not have a large enough space to use it for much beyond showing my face while i'm talking. Plus, i'll need a desk light in order to not look sinister while doing so. (I just tested it, that's what I was able to get out of it.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Happy to answer what I can, Bob. :) Feel free to ask questions, anyone.

TinyChat is an option, as Wastelander mentioned. That's what we used for the 10th anniversary livestream, along with Skype. Generally speaking, it will be lower quality than a Skype call. But, it can allow for more viewers and participants.

tkdkid123, how do you train face to face? I would think that the same basic principles would apply. You watch, you learn, you share, etc. The biggest difference is that it is through a computer.

I don't think Bob or anyone else is suggesting that it's a replacement for face to face training, but that it is a fun way to share arts with one another, get to know each other better and, potentially, to improve.

Justice, do you have access to a larger, more well lighted place than your apartment? You could always go there. It could even be a public park, if you felt comfortable there.

Just offering suggestions. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

I don't think Bob or anyone else is suggesting that it's a replacement for face to face training, but that it is a fun way to share arts with one another, get to know each other better and, potentially, to improve.

Patrick is absolutely right!! Nothing would ever replace face to face training. This [skype] now allows me to train long-distance with other martial arts that I wouldn't normally have been able to do. No, it's training without hands-on, but still, Skype has an immeasurable value that I tend to tap into.

In closing I'd like to thank Patrick for helping us so that we can learn about Skype and other venues...his assistance is very valuable.

how does it work? I have a skype but i dont know how we could train just by skype.

You can get a camera for your computer, and it would basically be a video conferencing thing.

Patrick is absolutely right!! Nothing would ever replace face to face training. This [skype] now allows me to train long-distance with other martial arts that I wouldn't normally have been able to do. No, it's training without hands-on, but still, Skype has an immeasurable value that I tend to tap into.

In closing I'd like to thank Patrick for helping us so that we can learn about Skype and other venues...his assistance is very valuable.

And finally, the internet will reach the pinnacle of what it can be!!! :D