• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon Queston

I have a question to all of you TKD'ers out there. TKD is mainly a kicking art. I took TKD for about 4 years when i was younger. But what do you all do to training for real combat? I don't mean point sparring or olympic sparring, of course. But do you train for a possible clinching or ground fighting range?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In real life self-defense situations, many of the traditional techniques of TKD may not be useful. This may be due to a number of variables, such as space limitations, attire, weather, number of attackers, etc. To overcome these variables, you must use a common sense approach to prepare yourself for possible attack.

Tae Kwon Do schools teach different versions self-defense. There are lots of self-defense techniques but the one thing they all have in common is the intended purpose of preventing or minimizing harm caused by a physical attack. Some schools teach a large number of self-defense techniques but self-defense is not about how many different techniques you know, it is about how well you perform each one.

At our school we have trained a bit in takedowns, grappling, Aikidido, self-defense against knife/gun attacks etc. etc. the basics really ... techniques that are effective and easy to use under circumstances one might encounter in ordinary life situations.

• 3 weeks later...
also...it is believed that gen choi had meant for taekwondo to be incorpaorated with other arts...mainly different kungfus and thats why it seems to flow so well with other martial arts...tangsoodo is the actual korean art and is meant for combat...though it is similar to taekwondo the kicks are mostly low and much more punches and some grappling...this is one of the arts that was incorporated into taekwondo...how many arts is not exactly known but taekwondo contains the original taekkyon arts of ancient korea as well as some kung fu and shotokan karate...and he did not create it by him-self he was the one that had the most influence of combining korea's arts together...he added shotokan into the mix as well as kungfu because the taekkyon arts were missing some of its original forms and techniques...in other words they were incomplete arts so technicall tang soo do is probably missing some of the techniques and some of the forms probably were not the original forms

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

I agree Mastertae. Tang Soo Do (which I did first) has a lot more self defense stuff. I do TKD now do to moving (and not finding TSD dojang), and I haven't learned any self defense yet (except for a few "Chin Na" moves .... 5 at the most), and I'm a green belt. My teacher did have a self defense clinic that I found interesting. But that's it. I'm not bashing TKD, and I'm sure there's other TKD dojangs that do teach it, but I learned more self defense at white belt in TSD, than I have in TKD. I also learned some Combat Hapkido that my master (TSD) mixed in.

Laurie F

we do some self defense stuff... i don't like it very much. i think sparring is the best for self defense anyway, instead of repeating prearranged attacks and stuff over and over.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Agian, it depends on the individual. Most nstructors who emigrated to the US pre-1975 teach traditional, self defense oriented TKD. Many who came later have modifed the art for the kiddies and it is now "take one's dough." Self defense applications are hidden in the Forms. at the junior student level (i.e.: less than 5 years or so of training) one doesn't have the "eyes" to "see" the techniques in there. also, may "two year wonder" black belts who teach may not have adequately mastered the basics and are therefore unable to teach self defense applications.

Again, my two pence.

Robert.

P.S.: Rayna...love your signiature! :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

My school is not a "pure" tkd school. (see my sig) It's not even really "modern-american" tkd. That's just what I call it for these boards!

From what I understand, PURE Tkd on its own is more of a sport. But when you mix in other styles, taking the most effective techniques from each, it can be killer.

TKD schools are pretty different from each other...if you can, shop around!

If you're not satisfied with the self-defense in your school, whatever your style may be, try some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...I hear it's pretty good :D

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hiya wrote:

"karatekid i have a feeling you don't realy like your tkd place very much or at least not as much as you used to. why don't you just switch dojos?"

I do and I don't, hiya. There's some stuff that I find really "out there" with this school, like I asked my teacher for help on sparring (I had a post somewhere on here about it), and it took him this long to wanna help AFTER I got hurt in class today. I knew I suck at sparring, and I knew I needed help, and he just egnored it till I got kicked in the face.

Laurie F

• 2 years later...

Karate kid that is horable. Asi have said befor i train with a gm in tsd any time i have ever tolde him i need help he was right there.He neve sent a senyor betl you asked him for help you got him.IN the tkd schools in my area I never see theam do any self defince or ground woork. Whic blows my mined since tkd is suposed too be hevily influcend by tsd