1. 1. How many daysa week do you train?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What style do you train in? I don't even know anymore, i thought it was Karate-do, but we are doing more jujitsu it seems...all of it is fun though so i don't care what i'm learning. Some Katas, some weapons training, ground works, lots of everything.

What rank are you? White Belt (noob , 3rd month)

How many day and times a day do you train? 3 - Mon/Thu/Sat, i never miss a class and if it was up to me, it would be every day, I love it. but the wife won't have it, lol.

Razz,

All because you have an Instructor that involves a lot of aplication doesn't make it Jujitsu. Karate HAS as much "grappling" if not more than Jujitsu.

Enjoy you KARATE, can you find out from your Instructor the origins of the style.

Welcome on board!!!!!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Style: Goju-ryu/Matayoshi kobudo

Hours train: 2 hour classes, three times/week

Not including physical therapy, swimming, strength training additional karate/kobudo varies - teaching 3-6 hours/week.

How Can you Teach if you've never graded?

Respectfully, I worked damned hard to gain my Black Belt to give me the right to teach, I know Goju DOES have a grading Syllabus. I would never have a white belt, no matter how long they've been a white belt teaching others. In my school you'd only know the first grade syllabus too.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Having any color belt around your waist doesn't give you the 'right' to teach. Your teachers do.

And respectfully, I'd never base my decision to train with someone on something so devalued as a belt color.

How Can you Teach if you've never graded?

Respectfully, I worked damned hard to gain my Black Belt to give me the right to teach, I know Goju DOES have a grading Syllabus. I would never have a white belt, no matter how long they've been a white belt teaching others. In my school you'd only know the first grade syllabus too.

Leaves fall.

This have probably been discussed a hundred times on here already but the problem with using a 'black belt' as a standard to teach is that there is no universal standard to earn a black belt.

A white belt could potentially make a black belt look like a beginner.

Grades obviously have their place but many people concern themselves far too much about them.

I train and teach various martial arts about 3 times a week for about 2 hours each session kind of doing my own thing and dipping my toes in and out at various places. I also do some running, walking and cycling for general fitness.

Style -- Shito ryu karate

Rank -- 1st kyu brown belt (though previously shodan in the same system) Trained about 6 years long ago, now coming up on 6 years again, and will be testing for shodan ho next spring. That's why I'm training more than usual...

Also 2nd kyu kobudo

Days training: Averaging 4 two or three hour classes a night, or Sat. A.M. I can't always handle five, and sometimes not even 4, but 4 on average seems OK for now. I will bump it up in the fall, before the big push.

• 1 month later...

Style: Isshinryu

Days: Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays

I train under one of the students of Grandmaster Willie Adams, and have been doing so for the last 8 years.