• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No karate for me this week

holley

I am 20 years old and my mom grounded me from karate. Is that right or wrong? I am getting into so much trouble. all this for lying to her. She told my sensei and now im going to get in even more trouble, my sensei said she was going to test me today for my purple belt, and now she is not because i blew it.

Now an orangebelt!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, if you are at home, you are subject to your parents' rules. And lying is, well, not your best behavior, and not behavior befitting a purple belt.

YOUR WORD IS IMPORTANT. Your trustworthiness is one of those few things that you carry with you everywhere. If you cannot be trusted, you truly have nothing. It is not meritorious to be a scoundrel, it is not a thing to emulate, it is something to understand so that it can be avoided. It is a sin; like most such things, it may be forgiven, but it will not soon be forgotten. It pollutes your relationship with the people you interact with, and the consequences linger and poison your interactions for some time to come. The only cure is to genuinely do things in an honest and forthright way, and let that new reputation slowly purge the taint of your past actions.

Consider this a learning experience, like your karate lessons, like a bruised face after dropping your guard in practice.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

What JusticeZero has said is all true--even though you are legally an adult you must adhere to the rules of the household in which you live and, regardless of the rules, lying is bad. As an adult you must take responsibility for your actions and take your punishment in stride.

That said, I would be practicing karate very hard at home.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

One hard life lesson is when you live under another s roof you are subject to their rules. One of the things I got from my training was to always to my best. And that it applied to all areas of my life. Even a silly lie in an awkward situation can come back to bite hard and hamper things down the road.

Much of the world see things in shades of grey. As one builds integrity, and inner strength there is less and less grey and more and more that is black and white.

“To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved." George MacDonald

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you” Fredrich Nietzsche

“We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy” Walter Anderson

“Without trust, words become the hollow sound of a wooden gong. With trust, words become life itself.” Unknown author

I hope you get the idea...your purple belt, your words, your deeds, your thoughts, your desires, your skills, your whole being is nothing...it is meaningless if you can not be trusted. Never Lie! The truth shall set you free!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Answer truthfully, or refuse to answer the question; do not lie.

Honor begins in truth; without truth, there can be no honor.

There is no karate without honor, otherwise, it's just beating people up.

I am 20 years old and my mom grounded me from karate. Is that right or wrong? I am getting into so much trouble. all this for lying to her. She told my sensei and now im going to get in even more trouble, my sensei said she was going to test me today for my purple belt, and now she is not because i blew it.

20 years old seems a bit old to be getting grounded still, but if your parents pay your dues, and you still live under their roof, then its their rules to live by.

I can tell you this, I don't appreciate being lied to by my kids, and being grounded from some physical activity would be the least of their worries. I teach my kids that integrity is something you work hard to maintain, and it only takes one time to lose it, and once its gone, well then good luck getting it back.

You might be mad at your mom now, but, this is a good opportunity for you to learn accountability. Take ownership for your mistake, admit you were wrong, apologize without making excuses, and learn from it. This is part of character building.

With all due respect Holley, suck it up. I'm 20 too and I still live with my parents (when I'm not at uni). Although I may not agree with them all, I abide by my parents' rules because its their house and if I want the privilege of living there I do what they say. Grounding you doesn't really seem like an appropriate punishment for a 20yr old but hey, its her house, her rules.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius