• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old Man Kobudo (kobujutsu)

All of these organizations have come along and taken things that were changed in the past into something that has become set in stone and given a label: "curriculum." Now we have the curriculum, and it cannot be changed, because this is how the great master X did it, and he was the great master, so you can't change it, because who the heck are you? (the answer is you are NOT the great master X!!!)

I hope everyone can see through the satire there, but it really is what has happened. Funakoshi ended up doing some things differently than Itosu, and Itosu probably had to modify some things he learned as he got older. I do things differently than my instructor. Its the nature of the beast. But when these curriculums became more set as a syllabus, it really clamed a lot of practitioners up, because they don't want to rock the boat, when it was a lot more likely that things changed more often in the past.

What I would say is this; know how it was done when you were young-know the original way of doing it, and teach it that way. And make sure your students do it that way while they can, or at least can teach that way to others. Then if changes have to happen for reasons of getting older, then make sure you the teacher let others know the reason you do x is because you are y years old now, so young pups do it the original way, if they can.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

quoting bushido_man96:

What I would say is this; know how it was done when you were young-know the original way of doing it, and teach it that way. And make sure your students do it that way while they can, or at least can teach that way to others. Then if changes have to happen for reasons of getting older, then make sure you the teacher let others know the reason you do x is because you are y years old now, so young pups do it the original way, if they can.

That's exactly what I meant, Bushido man! I'm not sure if you thought I was saying something different. I think a good analogy would be with language. It's fine to adapt a language to your needs, using slang or idioms or "internet language" or whatever, as long as you are also able to communicate in more formal language. I don't mind that the head honcho of the organization is the only one who can officially change a kata, and the next in line when he passes on. That doesn't mean that people can't adapt kata to their own physical needs due to age or injury. I don't think there has to be a contradiction there.

No, I understood what you were saying, still kicking, and I thought it made sense. My response was in regards to many opinions on how forms are taught and kept in terms of traditional means.

Everyone has wonderful points and im enjoying reading this (immensely). But...I have yet another perspective and question lingering within my head.

Say...you get Menkyo Kaiden or its equivalent (teaching certificate) and you go out to teach, but for some odd reason you have to move say...from Georgia, USA...to lets just say a random place in Canada, this would cut down the time you have to train with your teacher and peers...so...your technique will eventually alter to the way your body naturally wants to do this, and I have seen this happen, and I have also witnessed it happen to my own body, please also note I am not asking if this ever happened to you, or if this happens to 'good' or 'great' martial artists...I am simply asking if this is an acceptable form of altering the kata, and if it's right...and how would one really know if this is happening to them, unless someone points it out., And how can one stray from allowing it to happen?

I find myself dabbling into a lot of different martial arts styles, some I've been awarded rank in, but I don't feel as if I deserve them.

Edit out the movements?

NO!

Modify the movments to accomidate being overweight or "old" (I'm 58 and still do kata just fine)...maybe.

SOLID POST!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

IMO?

You know it's happening because you know it is going to happen. In fact, having it happen is a GOOD thing. It's a part of making your techniques your own.

Record the techniques the way you learned them somehow. Take note of the adjustments you made. When you teach, teach the way you learned, and explicitly tell them "I do it a bit more like this because I have a ______. You? Don't. You'll probably adjust it more in THIS direction instead."

Just keep checking to make sure that you aren't letting your technique slop in ways that become less functional.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia