• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combat Ranges

Again, I disagree for the above stated reasons, and others. If I have dealt with the initial assault, have a gap, but not enough to ensure a good escape, or they are blocking the path to escape, that aggressive ability to close the distance, inflict harm and get away. You do not have to wait for the other person to attack first for it to be self defense. Being passive in a fight and hoping reaction is faster than action put you a step behind and cut down your odds of successfully defending yourself.

I agree totally. Bad idea to let yourself get put behind the 8 ball. However, I don't think you have to close the gap first to be pre-emptive. I also think that most of what JusticeZero is talking about stems from the fact that most self-defense scenarios start with the attacker already being within range to make their attack, and if it is someone who is meaningfully wanting to engage a target, then they likely aren't taking the chance to warn the target by posturing first.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to set up counter striking in that manner in relation to competition is one thing, but to do so in self-defense is just asking for bad news. I'm sure there are some out there that may be fast enough to preceive the movement and counter, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

Try this towel trick. Get a parnter, and stand within striking distance of each other-not quite outstretched arms length away. Hang a towel on your shoulder, and put your arms down at your sides. Tell your partner to grab the towel at any time. Try to stop them from grabbing the towel by grabbing it yourself. Hard to do.

Now, change it up by starting with your hands in a fence position; it gets easier, but is still tough when you let them make the first move. The point is, action is faster than reaction, just from the nature of having to wait to react to a stimulus. Its just not a good idea in self-defense.

That depends on the style of the attacker. He may possibly wait for his opponent to make the first wrong and unprepaired move to counter strike fast.

If they're out of range, what are they going to counter? Fence up and retreat. If they move toward you to attack, you can destroy them as they move into range. But if they insist on hanging out in spearfighting range baiting you, they're a non-combatant.

I'm not saying 'Never strike first'. I'm saying that if the guy isn't in range, and isn't advancing into range, then they are not doing anything that you will be able to explain that you are defending against. Likely they're just showing dominance and don't actually have any real plans to attack. If you attack them, you are the one starting the fight, not them.

If the other guy is moving into range, by all means let him have it, and you would be justified stepping forward to meet them in the middle closer than they expect. But if you have to do some sort of rushing technique to get that range because they aren't closing, it has most likely left the realm of a self defense situation, on your side at least.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 months later...