• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combat Ranges

Over the years I have studied many "ranges" of combat. Limiting it to empty hand techniques, there was usually a kicking range, punching range, short technique range (knee/elbow)/clinching range and a grappling range (ground).

However, in reading Renzo Gracie's Mastering Ju Jitsu, he postulates that there are no ranges but only phases of combat. Further, he takes them down to just three categories.

The free movement phase

The clinch phase

The ground phase

He points out that modern MMA has demonstrated that the "ranges of combat" have proven not entirely accurate. That is to say, punches and knee strikes are often accomplished from "kicking range", head kicks have been thrown from "punching range," and takedowns have been used from both ranges. Therefore, he calls it the "Free Movement Phase." That is to say, there are no grabs that are hindering your movement and you are free to do what you wish based on your tactics and skill set.

The "Clinch Phase" is the phase of combat that begins once grabbing has been established. Again, many types of strikes and takedowns are possible from this phase. It is up to the fighter to determine which moves are best for him based on his own skill set.

The 3rd phase is the "Ground Phase" and is quite self explanatory. The fighters are now on the ground. Again, there are several technique sets that can be effective in this phase of combat. The most effective tend to be those that are based on achieving a dominant position before launching an offense.

After reading his book, I also adopted his train of though. It's important to realize that virtually any strike can come from any range. So, to define your place in regard to a specific range is not quite accurate.

What are your thoughts?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good book. Reading your explanation here, I'd have to say I agree with Renzo's ideas of phases instead of ranges; the reasoning behind the explanations just makes sense, and its obvious that striking and kicking aren't necessarily limited to the "ranges," like you mention above with your examples. These phases make more sense and actually do a better job of defining the possibilities in combat.

IMO there are striking distances when fighting on the outside, and perhaps phases when those distances are closed. The old time BJJ fighters were not strikers, and I would think that the traditional definition of distances applied to them in defense, and when moving to clinch. Perhaps its a matter of words:

The free movement distance (striking ranges)

The clinch distance (limb touching ranges)

The ground distance (well, this one is not clear to me, maybe body touching range)

For me there are two distances, the one I can hit the opponent from (that he can not defend), and the one he can hit me from (that I can not defend). These distances are dynamic. When tired, lapsed concentration, etc. the distance shrinks, and vice versa the distance is greater.

As I am only versed in a couple of throws, and practice no grappling, traditional distance is more meaningful to me. Have you ever attended a BJJ match? Most karate techniques are not permitted, and sometimes funny rules apply. In one public match I watched, if your opponent (the guest from Brazil) clinched your waist with his legs while you (the local BJJ student) are standing, you were not allowed to slam his body into the mat. But it was OK to throw him over your shoulder, leg, etc. One of the Gracie brothers refereed this match. Guess who won?

However, it's only fair to say that I have watched a lot of bogus Karate matches too.

The following is a test post:

http://honoluludesktop.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/temp005.png

Edited by honoluludesktop

I would say to start grappling, but then Tallgeese will tell me to train firearms...

The reason for no slams when someone pulls guard is that you risk causing injury while not really doing anything to improve position.

OP, the ranges do blend some, so I see what your saying. Also, at 5'7 training with tall people, my kicking range is their punching range. I can use a side kick as a defense against a jab.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

........The reason for no slams when someone pulls guard is that you risk causing injury while not really doing anything to improve position.........

If you slam your opponent to the ground, you can knock them out, or at least loosen their grip. How is throwing a opponent over your shoulder not as dangerous as slamming him into the ground in a controlled manner? One can always throw your opponent on his head.

Perhaps we should realize that matches by rules, by any art form must be taken with a "grain of salt".

Edited by honoluludesktop

Very interesting, I don't think that any body that has fought or even sparred has stopped and thought "ok now im in punching range, now i can punch" it sould flow together.

Of course you should train firearms as well, MP.... :)

This is an interesting idea. I have to admit, when I first read that breakdown, I almost immediately wanted to discount it, of course the traditional ranges make sense.

Then I took a longer look at it and have to agree. It makes alot of sense. Even moreso when you consider just what MP was talking about with body types. The matchup across types will cerainly dicate differences in ranges.

So, I'm willing to go with this assessment. It definatly goes more along my philosophical bent of principle based training anyway.

As to the rules of competition in BJJ, the no slam rule is pretty much in effect across the board at reputable comps. It keeps competitors safe. Not a lame rule at all, not to mention, it makes competitors work technical skills rather than slam and grab muscle action. And of course karate based attacks aren't allowed, it's a grappling match. Designed to show skill in that forum. If one wants to strike with it there are a plethora of mma gyms to give one the chance to work just that.

Right GS, that's why I'm thinking I like the distinction that Henzo makes there. The flow, that we all preach, is more important than artificially constructed ranges.

I think this will be espicially helpful to new people who we're trying to teach weapon to target principles to.

@honoluludesktop

I've competed at national levels in karate, kung fu, and in BJJ tourneys. So I know what you are saying about rule sets...but that's really not on topic. Just to ease your mind, though...there are tourneys outside the US where slamming the opponent is perfectly legal. In addition, many tournaments penalize the person who "jumps guard." Because, you're right...it's not a good idea from a self defense perspective.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."