• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trapping Techniques

Yes, trapping is just another tool to wield whenever the opportunity reveals itself. The right tool for the right job, but boy oh boy, what a tool to use, especially when one truly understands and applies said tool correctly/effectively.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that the problem that can occur that has been eluded too is that you can become too preoccupied with trapping. The idea of the trap is to hit the other guy not to trap just because you can.

Many a time has i fallen foul of this myself you just have to be careful.

Just to add more into the mix, trapping in a sport context like mma how come you don't see much standing application of it?

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I think that the problem that can occur that has been eluded too is that you can become too preoccupied with trapping. The idea of the trap is to hit the other guy not to trap just because you can.

Just to add more into the mix, trapping in a sport context like mma how come you don't see much standing application of it?

Yes, one can become too preoccupied with trapping, and in that, basics are totally forgotten for the chance to trap, this, imho, is very dangerous. When one traps just because they can, is not a reason to trap, and when one depends only on trapping, that too is dangerous.

Even though trapping is very important to our Tuite, I'm not going to always depend on it because I've got so many other things to use with our Tuite.

Trapping is natural for any Shindokanist, but, it's not what's written in stone. It's just another tool.

Not much standing application of it?!! I disagree with that because Shindokan has its share of standing applications of trapping, and I've never seen our Soke do many ground traps for one reason or another.

My ignorance is high when it comes to shindokan, I do not know it well. I was more talking about in a mma competition context, I mean you get clinching which can count as a type of trap but not really the type im alluding too, one where by the other guy is immobilised so you can hit at will, during ground and pound I have seen some people do this, they will pin the other guy and proceed to knock seven bells out of them.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

You do see a certain amount of it in mma, just in a less traditional method. You'll often see a jab parried down and thus opening an avenue for a cross or jab to counter. A basic but highly useful form of it.

I like to trap hard, try to unbalance the opponent. For me it works best to trap to open the path or when a srike is blocked to re open the line for a quick strike along the same path. Trapping is used all over in grappling arts.

Enter-pressure-terminate

Jay,

Yeah...I see what you're saying. What I see in MMA, as far as trapping is concerned, their initial trapping, when effective, allows the ground and pound, and once the first 1-3 hits, the trap isn't a factor anymore because the bells are starting to ring.

You do see a certain amount of it in mma, just in a less traditional method. You'll often see a jab parried down and thus opening an avenue for a cross or jab to counter. A basic but highly useful form of it.

Absolutely! The more basic, the more effective, imho!!

Trapping techniques are geared more for self-defense rather than sport fighting. In a self-defense situation you're "generally" fighting an unskilled opponent, or at least one that has little or no martial arts skills, so the traps are much more of a surprise effective than against a trained opponent.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.