• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trapping Techniques

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good topic Jay!

Shindokan isn't Shindokan without trapping; it's a cornerstone for our Tuite. In that, I simply love trapping in all of it's simplicity. I can't see our Tuite independently or separate away from trappings. To me, and for me, trappings done right are a beautiful thing to behold, and as Mr. Miyagi says..."Done right, no defense!"

Discovered traps, open traps, reverse traps, hidden traps, slipped traps; these are the crown jewels of Shindokan trapping.

Give me an honest trap, and I'll give you an honest response.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Traps are a key point in self defense. In a real fight you normally don't have 4 feet of distance to play with. A real fight is up close and personal. Those who know how to trap will have a huge advantage.

I think trapping has its place, just like many other things in Self-defense. We train trapping in our Combat Hapkido curriculum, as well as out DT curriculum. I do think it has some good uses, but its important to not get caught up in the idea of trapping just to trap. Its a great tool to use, but in the proper spot.

I think trapping has its place, just like many other things in Self-defense. We train trapping in our Combat Hapkido curriculum, as well as out DT curriculum. I do think it has some good uses, but its important to not get caught up in the idea of trapping just to trap. Its a great tool to use, but in the proper spot.

Very true!

Most trapping starts with a simple parry, so if the trapping doesn't work, you're still in a good position to defend or counterattack. Maybe they aren't as high percentage as a boxing cover, but I would argue tahat a triangle choke is lower percentage than a keylock, but still useful.

Also for weapon defense, they become more important. A boxing cover against a crowbar is bad for the radius and ulna. A good redirection and trap across is great.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Trapping is a good tool. It can create openings, deflect aggression, ect. I agree with bushidoman; however, getting into complex multiple traps just for the sake of doing it might get counter productive. Best to remember that they are a tool for OFFENSE and treat them as such.

As a grappler, I think traps are extremely important. It's always nice to throw someone without getting hit. Traps not only allow for you to enter and strike, they allow you to enter and clinch more safely. A really simple form of trap would be the basic armdrag. Gets you behind the opponent...beautiful.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Most trapping starts with a simple parry, so if the trapping doesn't work, you're still in a good position to defend or counterattack.

I hadn't really thought about it this way, but you are right. We practice some brush/trap/strike in Combat Hapkido, and do a similar block/pass/pin with our DT work, and it always starts with a block that allows for a different follow-up.