• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why did you join the martial arts?

Why did you join the marital arts? I have no shame in admitting that my sole reason for beginning the martial arts was the ninja turtles. I used to watch them on tv all the time, saw their movies, had their action figures I loved the ninja turtles. So it seemed like perfect common sense to me (that 8 year old kid) to want to fight just like them. Obviously over the years my priorites have changed and that is no longer the reason I train but that is what got me started. :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really remember why I started, just very happy that I did. I think perhaps I started for some Self-confidence, I was very ignorant to all the styles back then.

I started Aikido, because I saw O Sensei Ueshiba and thought, I really want to be able to throw people like that. :lol:

But like you said leaf, my proities have changed. :dodgy:

Be Well

I started into martial arts when I saw UFC 1 on PPV. A 175lb Royce Gracie vs a 210lb Ken Shamrock, Royce dominated the fight and beat Shamrock with a rear naked choke :o! To see a MUCH bigger and stronger opponent on his back beat proved to me how EFFECTIVE martial arts are, and so I started Sambo and a young age!

http://www.nhbcanada.ca/Photo%20Files/NHBshadow.JPG

Tapout or pass out, it dosen't matter to me!

I was always exposed to MA. My dad watched the old Bruce Lee films all the time. Then the karate kid (where I got my screen name also) movies came out. Those movies really sparked my interest, but my parents couldn't afford lessons. But when I was 24, I got a job as a security officer, so I wanted to learn self defense for my job. I decided to start looking for a school. Age 25, I found my TSD dojang. I've been in it ever since (eventhough I no longer do security).

Laurie F

threw my whole life....i never thought of martial arts......but i have been sick for a while and im not in the best shape of my life....i took martial arts as an daily excercise......and it comes in handy in self defense or in the streets......

My Parents Allways watched Those old Kungfu Movies and Bruce lee movies. I was allways exposed to alot of tv violence at a very young age. I have been interested in them all my life from watching those movies. I allways wanted to do it but my mom said we didnt have enough money. so when i turned 13 as a birthday present she put me in a martial arts dojo now i eat live and sleep kungfu.

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

This might sound weird but...one day I just told myself I wanna learn to fight.

So I started to take aikido, but it wasn't for me. (I wanted to learn to punch and kick...)

Two years later, I again decided I wanted to learn martial arts. So I started karate. :)

Nice avatar Tai-Kwon-Leap :lol:

It's interesting to hear what got you guys started.

Shuriken: art of Japanese blade throwing

Shorin-ryu karate with influences from White Crane Kung Fu

15 years old

Lying in ICU (intensive care unit) for several days at age 37 connected to a machine that goes Ping, lead me to think that there was more to life than being overweight, overworked, stressed out and unfit.

Taking up martial arts has helped me to deal with stress, loose weight (20Kg) and set personal achievable goals. I'm fitter, healthier and feel great.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do