• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking to start Karate any help ?

Jonnyspike50

But ive completed my Judo training...

Now there is a concept with which I am unfamiliar! A lot of what you get out is determined by what your intention is in the first place. If you are just looking for another quick black belt and a few moves for your MMA then I'm not so sure that you are going to get much more from Karate than you are getting from your Kickboxing. For me, Karate is an all-consuming passion but I have known quite a few people try it for a couple of years and dismiss it as "useless" or "not realistic" and go back to Kickboxing, MMA or Muay Thai. It is sad because they have only scratched the surface, you never complete training you just get to a point of stagnation or lose interest which is more to do with the self than the art.

I hope that you enjoy your Karate training and never feel that you have completed it :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is a concept with which I am unfamiliar! A lot of what you get out is determinted by what your intention is in the first place. If you are just looking for another quick black belt and a few moves for your MMA then I'm not so sure that you are going to get much more from Karate than you are getting from your Kickboxing. For me, Karate is an all-consuming passion but I have known quite a few people try it for a couple of years and dismiss it as "useless" or "not realistic" and go back to Kickboxing, MMA or Muay Thai. It is sad because they have only scratched the surface, you never complete training you just get to a point of stagnation or lose interest which is more to do with the self than the art.

I hope that you enjoy your Karate training and never feel that you have completed it :)

Great Post!

I started karate year ago and I'm now 21 so I dont think its too late for you.

I think that with your kickboxing background you should get some things faster than someone without any MA experience. My friend has a black beld, and he got it after about nine years of training.

And if you are wondering what style to choose, find out what styles are avalivable in your city and chceck them out and choose the one you like most.

A style is just a name.

Now there is a concept with which I am unfamiliar! A lot of what you get out is determinted by what your intention is in the first place. If you are just looking for another quick black belt and a few moves for your MMA then I'm not so sure that you are going to get much more from Karate than you are getting from your Kickboxing. For me, Karate is an all-consuming passion but I have known quite a few people try it for a couple of years and dismiss it as "useless" or "not realistic" and go back to Kickboxing, MMA or Muay Thai. It is sad because they have only scratched the surface, you never complete training you just get to a point of stagnation or lose interest which is more to do with the self than the art.

Great Post!

Agreed, this is a great Post

Traditional Martial Arts be it Karate, Judo, Jujuits etc are a lifetime's study getting to First Dan Black Belt is Just the begining,

Did Machida stop karate when he got to 1st Dan - NO, Did GSP stop when he got to Black Belt - No.

Respectfully if all you want is to collect Blackbelts, just carry on with you MMA training you're already doing and order the Blackbelts and Certificates off Ebay.

I hope you find a style that you will stick with for the rest of your life.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

The thing with my Judo training is, i got my belts and then my coach sadly passed away. I then left that club and didn't really enjoy Judo after that. I want to Learn Karate for the sport itself aswell as adding technique to my MMA. But im also init for the disipline and the passion.

I need the passion back into my fighting and i hve alot for Karate

That's fair enough, situations change all the time and we are not always in a position to keep up training in a particular discipline. I have been in a similar situation with Karate, I lost the will to live at my previous club so I am currently looking to join another club in another Karate style in the near future but that is down to my personal circumstances. I thought your choice of phrase indicated a familiar mindset among some people coming from heavy cross-training backgrounds but it looks like I was mistaken, for which I apologise.

If you want to upset a martial artist, tell them you know all about their art! Good luck, have fun and maybe we will meet in the dojo some time.

If you want karate, remember it is NOT MMA so it is more disciplined etc

Some of the most disciplined martial artists in the world are MMA fighters. We're geared towards self defense, but we are never more disciplined than when someone is preparing for a fight.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Very true, MP. It is a different sort of dicipline though. Discipline in the sense of karate based arts is certianly more formal, which might be a better descriptor.

Dicipline in the mma realm revolves around maintaining your training schedule of the upcoming fight, conditioning, watching what you eat so you properly cut weight, ect. It's certainly dicipline, but it's geared towards successful competitive preparation, not any sort of philosophical or ethical underpinning of an art.

Now, as to formailty, this will clearly be much more a factor in karate than just about anything else. The mma gyms I've competed out of and/or coached out of were pretty laid back: show up, sweat, hit something to exhaustion, grapple someone to exhaustion, rinse and repeat. All while a round timer occassionally bleats in thru the Metallica pounding in the background to remind you how much your life sucks while your doing this on 1500 calories that day.

In BJJ, you pretty much call everyone "bro", slap hands alot, and lounge on the mat during instruction all while Bob Marley plays in the background.

Conversly, karate gyms are much more likely to demand a certain decorum while training. Repetitive bowing to show respect, certain rules about when one can and can't speak or who one can and can't address during class. There is a chain of command so to speak that is very formalized. Really, I know we had the trappings of formality back in the day, but having been around to some different places I can say we got real lucky in the LACK of formality we did have to observe.

It's a misunderstanding that often occurs between the two training mindsets. The mma crowd gets portrayed with a lack of dicipline, it truth, it's just a different form.

If you want karate, remember it is NOT MMA so it is more disciplined etc

Some of the most disciplined martial artists in the world are MMA fighters. We're geared towards self defense, but we are never more disciplined than when someone is preparing for a fight.

I may have used the wrong word there "disciplined". I won't edit my post as I can get an extra post to push me closer to the next grade on here.

What I meant by disciplined, Karate is a life-time's study as well as Judo or Jujitsu. Now there are some excellent MMA gyms around the world that would be able to teach you all you need to know inside and outside the cage, but maybe it was the the way the original poster, stated he wants to learn various styles and pick up a few things to help him in the ring. and that he's completed his judo training. I am karateka but Judo has more than 2 lifetimes worth of study. In Judo aswell as Randori waza, you have 7 official kata to learn too which could be used in the cage.

Now if you want a core style that is your basis, then karate IS an excellent but its not a 2-3 year excusion to pick up a few techniques.

Semmy Schiltz World K1 champ is an Ashihara Karate fighter it hAas no long stances or traditional kata in this style - everything taught could be used in the cage as long as the rules allow the variuos techniques. It is possibly a style you could study for a lifetime and also it would give you access to Daito Juko competitions

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)