• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking to start Karate any help ?

Jonnyspike50

I am looking to start karate, I'm currently an MMA fighter with a striking background but i want to add karate to my game, I'm 17 years old is that too old to start ? and would i need to fight to move up belts ? because with my mma i'm unable to do so...

Could anyone give me advice on this please, thank you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotokan seems to be working just fine in the octagon for Lyoto Machida, but, the style of Karate isn't more important that the experience of the practitioner

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There are many different styles of karate. Like Sensei8 said it is the practitioner that makes the art. As far as ranking up, that too is different in every school. In some you can achieve BB in a couple of years. In my style it takes minimum of 4 years and if you chose to grade at that time you had better be awesome on the floor.

If I were you I would spend more time on learning and less time worrying about ranking up. Karate is not about the belt but the journey.

I would say Kyokushin would be better for this than other styles GSP is Kyokushin fighter.

A black belt in karate in any less than 3 1/2 years is a bit dubious

If you want karate, remember it is NOT MMA so it is more disciplined etc

Good luck on your search

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I am looking to start karate, I'm currently an MMA fighter with a striking background but i want to add karate to my game, I'm 17 years old is that too old to start ? and would i need to fight to move up belts ? because with my mma i'm unable to do so...

Could anyone give me advice on this please, thank you

17?! That's barely out of diapers. You usually don't need to fight for rank, other than regular sparring.Might as well fight once you're prepared to. It'll give your belts more street cred.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I think everyone here will mention their own style..

because I know i'd recommend the style i do.

I think it's a lot more disciplined than others.

I've been training for 5-6 years and i'm still a purple belt & i like it that way.

I've had all 1st class passes so it's not like i;ve failed a grading before.

in Higashi it does take a long while to get up there with the big people but when yo do you know you are ready to be.

In the gradings you will have to fight as it's on the syllabus but it isn't full contact fighting. you just have ti be able to show that you know how to block and attack effectively etc.

Higashi is a small organization but it does work under the WKF. It is a more hard hitting & effective version of wado ryu.. every move has a good purpose.

I've done shotokan too but i couldnt find much sense in the moves, thisis why im a Higashi addict <3

xx

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

Well this has helped me alot thank you guys! I'll have a think about it all and i'm looking to train for a few years i have a busy schedule with also boxing, kickoboxing, wrestling and BJJ. But ive completed my Judo training so i now have a free day to train. If you could help me with the best Gi to buy it would be much appreicated

Well this has helped me alot thank you guys! I'll have a think about it all and i'm looking to train for a few years i have a busy schedule with also boxing, kickoboxing, wrestling and BJJ. But ive completed my Judo training so i now have a free day to train. If you could help me with the best Gi to buy it would be much appreicated

http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Polycotton-Student-Karate-Suit?sc=9&category=11148

thats about the best in my opinion. i've used these for 5 years. Do the job and inexpensive x

http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Polycotton-Student-Karate-Suit?sc=9&category=11148

thats about the best in my opinion. i've used these for 5 years. Do the job and inexpensive x