• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying a new karate gi.

I have not yet purchased a Gi, I'm 17 years old and i'm looking for my first Gi. Any tips on what to buy ?

For a first gi, I recommend you go through your dojo. Most will supply gis. If yours doesn't, they should at least be able to offer a recommendation. Some senseis like to start their beginners in light weights, some in middle weights, and a few will start their students in heavy weights.

You should NOT get a top quality gi like many of the ones mentioned in this thread. They run from about $150 to $250, give or take. Many beginners quit within a few months, so you might want to make sure you like training before spending big bucks. Even if you don't quit, the material, fit, and features of gis can vary quite a bit, and you don't know enough about what you want to make an informed decision. If you stick with it for a few months, you'll probably want more than one gi and will be ready to upgrade.

Decent quality beginner gis in a light or medium weight will run around $30 to $40. That's where I'd recommend you start. If you want something heavier, you can get a basic heavy weight for around $70 to $80. These prices are approximate and for adult sizes. Anyone looking for small kid sizes will probably find prices a little lower.

Oh, and all this applies to karate gi, not judo or jiujitsu gi. They're different.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not yet purchased a Gi, I'm 17 years old and i'm looking for my first Gi. Any tips on what to buy ?

For a first gi i'd recommenda standart BLITZ gi or STandard polycotton BLITZ as that one is less likely to shrink. Nice gis.

http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Polycotton-Student-Karate-Suit?sc=9&category=11148

Im 18/female and I take a size 3/160

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

For a first gi i'd recommenda standart BLITZ gi or STandard polycotton BLITZ as that one is less likely to shrink. Nice gis.

http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Polycotton-Student-Karate-Suit?sc=9&category=11148

Im 18/female and I take a size 3/160

I'd check with your instructor and senior students at your school. They may have a preference, and may be able to cut a deal if they have some kind of an agreement with a certain company.

I did this at last nights training session and they both recommended the white diamond or silver tournament & in the past I have ordered my gi through both of them so I'll probably do that to save a bit of cash

x

• 2 weeks later...

I wound up with a preference for a 10oz poly/cotton gi from Pro Force. Held up well, gave me the same amount snap a heavier 12 oz gi gave and being the blend did not shrink. My kata may be traditional but my gi and my shoes not necessarily so.

• 2 weeks later...

For those in the UK (like the original poster), Tokon is what most of the rest of the world knows as Kamikaze.

Ah, wasn't sure what Tokon was, but Kamikaze I remember. Thanks.

I wound up with a preference for a 10oz poly/cotton gi from Pro Force. Held up well, gave me the same amount snap a heavier 12 oz gi gave and being the blend did not shrink.

It should also be less prone to wrinkling too, even at the lighter weight.

I think most Karateka agree 100% cotton is the way to go. I don't know how important brand really is. People prefer different weight gis for different reasons. Make sure you are hanging your gi to dry and not putting it in the clothes dryer. If you wash in cold and air dry, your cotton gi will stay pretty much the same size.

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

• 2 weeks later...

I have my old GI and i am not gona change it because when they get old they show how much training your have passed regardeless the belt

You Push Yourself Until You Think you've Reached Your Limit. First Your Body Wants To Stop, But Your Mind Keeps Pushing You. Then Your Mind Wants To Stop, But Your Spirit Keeps You Going. You Endure The Pain. You persevere. THIS IS OSU!!

After going back and looking at the shrinkage comment I missed before one of the ways to avoid that is to NEVER put gi in the dryer. Depending on your laundry situation if you find you have no place to hang dry a gi don't go all cotton. If you want tradition and cotton keep gi away from the dryer.