• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying a new karate gi.

I'm looking to get a new karate gi at the moment but i really don't know what to get!

All i've ever worn is the standard BLITZ cotton gi but i find it shrinks so fast!

i started back to karate 2 and a half months ago and it's shrunk incredible amounts so I want to get a new one that but id love to stay with Blitz or go to adidas.

I've been looking at the diamond blitz suit, the silver tournament gi and the polycotton original.

only problem i have is i don't want to look too "look at me" i just want a nice durable, comfortable gi for training and competition as I am only an 18 year old purple belt.. any info would be much appreciated :karate: :-? :D

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 20 years ago I bought 4 heavyweight gi's from Century Martial Arts. At that time they cost around $60 each as I recall, and I'm still wearing them.

I rotate these gi's around so no one of these gi's gets used exclusively, and I'll be they last the rest of my martial arts life!

Sure, they're stiff (they'll stand on their own when they're new) at first, but wash them with fabric softner and toss a tennis shoe in the dryer with them, and they're not bad. They wear like iron and for me, are perfect!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

THe Blitz White Diamond to me is really good, I prefer it to the Cimac Master's Gi I had.

Gi's for Tokiado are good. I've not tried Black Eagle or Ki Sports but I suppose its what you want out of a Gi.

If you had a standard 8Oz Gi from Blitz (Cotton) it does shrink alot. getting the 8oz Polycotton Gi would be better if you didn't want a 14oz Gi.

Note some suppliers have a different WEIGHT CATEGORIES, to some heavyweight is 8oz, to others 10oz is Heavyweight, also 12oz compared to 14oz and 18oz compared to 16oz. Lightweight is 6oz and below.

just confirm what weight your buying before you get it as it may be that its actually dearer as your getting a lighter gi for a few pennies less than a heavier Gi.

I know the weight of Gi's these days is not as heavy as they used to be. I loved my 10oz Gi but I wish I'd have bought more of them as I can't find any now. Although my style involes grappling so a heavier gi IS needed

think about what you need the Gi for as you don't want to buy a Gi then get it ripped in half because the material is not strong enough to take the tension etc

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I have a couple of Blitz White Diamond gi's and find them to be nothing short of excellent after my first gi being a standard Blitz student gi which, as you said, shrunk quite a bit!

I have no problem with wearing a nice gi, being a lowly purple belt myself.

i know it's not the gi's you listed, but i've owned tokaido's and tokon... in fact, me and 6 other people from our dojo just placed an order for tokaido gi's...

one of my students just received their gi and i forgot how nice a brand new tokaido is lol... he had his gi hanging next to my tokon and it basically made my gi look brown lol... it's bright white with a bluish tint and looks REALLY nice... has a really solid snap to it

my tokon (sovereign also just ordered a europa), is probably the most comfortable gi i've ever owned... it's baggier than tokaido's and when you lift your leg to kick, there's absolutely no need to adjust or lift your pants... it also has decent snap for being a lightweight/middleweight (not too sure what weight)... again, the downside is in the looks department in that it's not as bright of a white as tokaido's (even my 6yr old tokaido is still whiter)... but the comfort is unbelievable...

well, that's my gi reviews lol

I agree, Tokaido is the best quality (as are Hirota and Yamaga. The founders of these companies used to work for Tokaido so it's the same craftsmanship and price pretty much). The only problem is that these can be really freakin' expensive! :o

Personally, for a good training gi I prefer something that not only looks good and is durable, but that I can afford to replace when it gets inevitably disgusting from heavy perspiration. The line I prefer for all-around satisfaction (i.e. price, quality, durability & fit) is called "Mugen" and it's made by KI.

Here's a link: http://www.kiintl.com/1/home.php?cat=254

They make them in light mid and heavy fabric so you can choose, but all of them are way more affordable than Tokaido. Even though I have many other more expensive gi (including a Tokon), I actually usually end up wearing my Mugen to tournaments because it looks the best on me.

Lastly, if it is helpful I did a big gi review on my blog a while back. Here's the link:

http://www.mariorange.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry091022-220711

I reviewed 6 different gi brands/lines that I have owned in the past. There are photos and info on prices, comparative sizing, cuts, washing advise, heaviness of fabric and links to where you can order each online.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I'd check with your instructor and senior students at your school. They may have a preference, and may be able to cut a deal if they have some kind of an agreement with a certain company.