• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lifespans of the Masters of Shuri-te (80.8) vs Naha-te (74)

nemcuon

While watching Sanchin on Youtube, I came accross this video

The funny things is that there are > 1 person saying that Sanchin's Hard style is harmful tho the practitioner's health, that many Naha-te artists died young.

So I decided to do a little research. Anyone having a little knowledge of Sanchin is welcome to twit here:)

------------

Edited by nemcuon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_martial_arts, I googled and read about the lifespans of 12 biggest names in Shuri-te and 12 biggest names in Naha-te (

Gōjū-ryū and Tōon-ryū). On average, Shuri-te artists died at the age of 80.4, and Naha-te artists died at 74 y.o. However, one difference is that most of the life time of Shuri-te artists don't include the mal-nutrited Japan's post-war period.

Prominent names in Shuri-te (12 names, averaged 80.8 y.o)

Kanga Sakugawa (1733 - 1815, died at 82)

Matsumura Sōkon (inexact DOB/DOD, averaged longevity of 90)

Ankō Itosu (1831 – 1915, died at 84)

Anko Asato (1827 – 1906, died at 79)

Motobu Chōyū (1857-1928, died at 71)

Motobu Chōki (1870-1944, died at 74)

Kentsū Yabu (1866 - 1937, died at 71)

Chōmo Hanashiro ( 1869 - 1945, died at 75

Gichin Funakoshi (1868 – 1957, died at 89)

Chotoku Kyan (1870 - 1945, died at 75)

Chōshin Chibana (1885 - 1969, died at 84)

Kanken Tōyama (1888 – 1966, died at 78)

(not counted: Tatsuo Shimabuku (1908 - 1975, died at 67) <----- not counted, since he also trained in Goju-ryu)

Prominent names in Naha-te: (12 names, averaged 74 y.o)

Arakaki Seisho (1840-1918, died at 78)

Higaonna Kanryō (1853 - 1916, died at 63)

Chōjun Miyagi (1888—1953, died at 65)

Juhatsu Kyoda (1887 - 1968, died at 81)

Kenwa Mabuni (1889 - 1952, died at 63) <---- Ong nay cung duoc coi la Shuri-te-ka

An'ichi Miyagi (xxxx - xxxx, died at 78)

Head of current branches of Goju-Ryu:

In alphabetical order:

(1) Gōjū-Kai / Gogen Yamaguchi, founder; Goshi Yamaguchi (1942 - now, 69)

(2) IOGKF / Morio Higaonna, founder (1938 - now, 73)

(3) Jinbukan, Katsuyoshi Kanei, founder; (

(4) Jundokan International / Teruo Chinen, founder (1941 - now, 70)

(5) Jundokan Okinawa / Ei'ichi Miyazato, founder (1922-1999, died at 77); Tetsonuke Yasuda.

(6) Kenshikai / Tetsuhiro Hokama, founder (1944 - now, 67).

(7) Ken-Shin-Kan / Seiichi Yoshikata Akamine, founder (1920 - , died at 75); Raul Fernandez de la Reguera.

(8) Seigokan Gōjū-ryū / Seigo Tada, founder (1922–1997, died at 75).

(9) Seito Gōjū-ryū / Kanki Izumikawa, founder (1908 - 1969, died at 61).

(10) Sengukan / Seiko Fukuchi (1919-1975, died at 56)and Kanki Izumikawa, founder.

(11) Shobukan / Masanobu Shinjo, founder (1938 - now, 73); and John Porta.

(12) Shodokan / Seiko Higa, founder (1898 - 1966, died at 68);

(13) Shoreikan / Seikichi Toguchi, founder (1917-1998, died at 81)

(14) Yuishinkan/Tomoharu Kisaki (1920 - ?)

(15) Meibukan / Meitoku Yagi, founder (1912 - 2003, died at 91), probably from a elite linage originating one of 36 Chinese families coming to Okinawa in 1392)

Too small of a data pool for a conclusion to be drawn. Also, how many deaths were by accident or genetically inheirited disease?

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Too small of a data pool for a conclusion to be drawn. Also, how many deaths were by accident or genetically inheirited disease?

Bingo! Also, how many of these masters followed the "go train then drink sake all night" vs the "keep the body a temple" philosophy? Putting up an average age does not mean there is any correlation.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Bingo! Also, how many of these masters followed the "go train then drink sake all night" vs the "keep the body a temple" philosophy? Putting up an average age does not mean there is any correlation.

I agree as well. I don't think there is enough data here to make draw that kind of a conclusion. There are just too many other variables that aren't taken into account to determine whether one activity caused them to live longer or not.

• 2 years later...

There has now been a study done on the issue of longevity across karate styles in concert with data crunching by a University of South Australia academic. The report shows that all karate style master die young since WWII. However the published work explore many variables and links to style types as well as noting some difference when talking about masters who lived in the 1800s. That data spanned 118 karate masters (8th dans, style founders, style successors etc.) to analyse the links to shortened lifespan in karate styles, looking at injury rates, diets in regions, psychology and combative factors and stance/practice types.

Interesting topic!!

I'm of the camp that gives no credit and/or agreements that Sanchin and/or any other MA training and/or how the practitioner lived as to why they died; people die and that's all I know.

There could be something to what is spoken about and/or what's written concerning these masters. But for now, people die and death isn't a respecter of persons.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!