• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yesterday's UFC event was great for karate

RW

BTW, lucky that Machida didn't have Randy's teeth stuck into the ball of his foot.

I saw that too lol

it was pretty close, OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is nidangeri performed excellently here by Machida.

You can find this technique in Kankudai ... Osaka sensei performing this kata ,one of the best I have ever seen.

Another proof that kata does have a meaning and it works if done properly !

http://youtu.be/BB6j-Q5bUI8

never give up !

I'd call it a jumping front kick, just that the jump wasn't super high, but more for covering distance and gaining good momentum. A great kick, for sure.

As far as that particular UFC being "great for Karate" goes, I'm not necessarily sold on that. If that's what it takes for it to be a great event for a specific style, then every UFC is a great one for BJJ.

I'm not trying to bring down what Machida did here, and its well known that he touts his style as being more Shotokan than anything else. It is what it is; a knockout with a front kick. Great to see. Loved it myself, being a kicker and all.

Its also great to see guys with a bit different style than what has become the standard in the competitions. But it takes both to make it great. I'd love to see someone get knocked out with a spinning hook kick to the head, and it may happen some day. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a sudden jump to TKD schools to learn and use it in the UFC. It will just be what it is; another technique used in a full-contact fight to knock someone out. Anything like this that brings variety into the sport is great. I just won't make it more than it is.

I'd call it a jumping front kick, just that the jump wasn't super high, but more for covering distance and gaining good momentum. A great kick, for sure.

As far as that particular UFC being "great for Karate" goes, I'm not necessarily sold on that. If that's what it takes for it to be a great event for a specific style, then every UFC is a great one for BJJ.

I'm not trying to bring down what Machida did here, and its well known that he touts his style as being more Shotokan than anything else. It is what it is; a knockout with a front kick. Great to see. Loved it myself, being a kicker and all.

Its also great to see guys with a bit different style than what has become the standard in the competitions. But it takes both to make it great. I'd love to see someone get knocked out with a spinning hook kick to the head, and it may happen some day. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a sudden jump to TKD schools to learn and use it in the UFC. It will just be what it is; another technique used in a full-contact fight to knock someone out. Anything like this that brings variety into the sport is great. I just won't make it more than it is.

The real art is in delivery and not just any delivery but the one that is an ippon ! a knockout ,otherwise you can teach a balerina in 10 minutes to perform it .

Nidangeri is a double kick as in kata kankudai , the application that we were taught was the left front kick is blocked or opponent move backwards which is immediatley followed by a right leg front kick ,could also be used a a faint but it is a extremely strong technique that could cause a lot of damage.

never give up !

I'd call it a jumping front kick....

and

Nidangeri is a double kick as in kata kankudai....

I agree with both the above, and have always referred to this as "Tobi Mae Geri"

Tobi= Jumping/Aerial

Mae= To the front

Geri= Kick.

Tobi Mae Geri... Jumping Front Kick.

Granted I do agree that it was more of a hop, the technique is the same, and it did achieve an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL KO!!!

OSU

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Jumping or hopping, I think it's important for one to go "forward" instead of "upward." The intent of the jump/hop is to cover ground.

I've seen this kick taught as a jump to get elevation in order to kick a person in the head. That's asking for trouble.

JCVD....

Really though they are very mobile, proportionally strong and accustomed to hard work. All good attributes for a fighter. I've heard of football(American football) players crosstraining ballet.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

UFC is all about BJJ and Muay Thai. And also wrestling.

When a style outside those three makes it into the headlines, it's a good night for that particular sport.

GSP is a Kyokushin blackbelt, and it was even shown in on-screen text. And then the Machida thing.

While this won't make people rush to karate schools, at least it helps the credibility of the art a bit, which has suffered in the ladt 10 years.