• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yesterday's UFC event was great for karate

RW

First Machida Ko's legend Randy Couture with a CRANE KICK (Karate kid style!) and then Kyokushin blackbelt GSP defends his title for the 7th time or so...

Side question: I know the front kick is a mae geri. How do you can the crane kick? Mae Tobi Geri?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not seen the event as I don't have cable.

Randy and Chuck need to retire before they start getting beat by everyone. They are Legends to me and I want to remember them as champs. Not like TNA where the wrestlers too old for WWE etc go!!

In all my years of Karate I've never seen it used except in the karate kid so I suppose it is "Jodan Tobi Mae Geri"

GSP = OSU!!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Tobi mae geri is a pretty strong technique if you get the technique down right. Flashy, but can get you a KO. Ewerton Teixeira, a Kyokushin karateka who now fights in K-1, has used them pretty well in a lot of his matches. He has a powerful mae geri in general.

Randy and Chuck need to retire before they start getting beat by everyone. They are Legends to me and I want to remember them as champs. Not like TNA where the wrestlers too old for WWE etc go!!

They have both retired. Randy announced his retirement in the after fight interview in the octagon with Joe Rogan. Saying that though, he's retired before but let's hope this one is permanent.

They have both retired. Randy announced his retirement in the after fight interview in the octagon with Joe Rogan. Saying that though, he's retired before but let's hope this one is permanent.

Thanks Gary, I hope that the get to be excellent coaches or enjoy their retirements. They've worked damned hard for it.

Gary, where about in Manchester is your Dojo would you mind if I came to one of your sessions

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

IMO, it's a simple lead leg Mae Geri to the head. It's not a crane kick (drop front kick) like the "Karate Kid." Back leg shuffles up, front leg kick. Power is generated by forward momentum. Penetration is generate by kicking with the ball instead of instep.

One sets this attack up with several rear leg round kicks to the body or leg. When the opponent tries to anticipate the next round kick, he will bring his forearm vertical to protect his right arc and leave the vertical unguarded. (I guess this is why Shotokan folks like to guard their center line).

Again. It's not a crane kick. It's a lead leg front kick.

BTW, lucky that Machida didn't have Randy's teeth stuck into the ball of his foot.