• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found Machida's, which is the one I think you mean. The one he took out Couture with, am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEi9aPJIkM

If so, that's tobi mae geri, a flying front kick. A flashy move, but effective. Here he is demonstrating it from his Machida Karate-Do videos:

Silva's is different though, he doesn't hop like Machida does. His is more just your standard rear leg front kick.

Well, I've been watching UFC for a bit now and up to now haven't seen these attempted. They are new to me. I'm just wondering if they'll be used more.

Not sure about Machida's, but Silva's is used a lot already. Most of the guys tend to stick with the body rather than the face when doing their push kicks, but a good striker will go for the high kicks.

Machida's kick was a nice one. We do a jumping front kick as part of the basics in every one of our classes. Although Machida's wasn't a high jump, and more of a hopping or a skipping kick, his timing and distancing for it were just about pefect.

The thing about a good front kick is that it can be tricky to stop, especially with it coming straight in from a low angle like it does.

Perhaps this kick to the head has been used more at lower MMA levels than it has shown up in the UFC.

I have thrown it in class, but not usually to the head. Our instructor doesn't like for us to side kick to the face, just because of the potential for injury. I would guess he would feel the same about a face front kick.