• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLOncMKDYc&feature=related

Seriously, tell me we don't know a guy like this.

Which one?

The guy that wants extort money (via contracts / deals) or the guy that wants value for money?

Heck - you should be able to get the best training in the world for $ 7.00 per hour max otherwise you are just entering into the Mc Dojo.

Sojobo

I can't quite agree with the contract thing. It's become an industry standard across the board. From the "mcdojo" concept to actual schools. From an coaching standpoint, you're going to invest a great deal of time in making an individual better. If they drift off after 6 month of work, then you're out that investment of building, usually really slowly, a training partner. The contract has to help with actually showing up to training.

I just don't see an issue with contract, and I've trained at schools both with and without. I have yet to hear a pitch that didn't include a way out for either medical reasons on forced lifestyle change (ie. loss of job, job transfer to another city, ect.)

At the rate of 7/hour you quoted, assuming that you're going to class 3 times per week (around my average I'd guess) and that you're there about 2 hours per session, you're looking at a monthly fee of 168. That's actually above what you're average BJJ school will charge per month. I don't think that's an issue most of the time.

So, even if they are using a contract this does not mean that you're being exploited finacially for the knowldege and coaching you're recieveing.

I just think it's a reality in this day and age.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not sure, our Dojo is packed (to the point where we are turning people away) and we only charge on a pay as you train basis.

We are a non profit making group - and that may be the difference. The instructors do not draw a wage so our only outgoings are the hall rental.

In the economically austere times we have here in the UK at the moment - we are getting more and more people join. Wind back 5 years and I actually had a parent tell me that they weren't going to bring their kid to my dojo as it seemed too cheap?

I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Sojobo

Edited by sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLOncMKDYc&feature=related

Seriously, tell me we don't know a guy like this.

Which one?

The guy that wants extort money (via contracts / deals) or the guy that wants value for money?

Heck - you should be able to get the best training in the world for $ 7.00 per hour max otherwise you are just entering into the Mc Dojo.

Sojobo

I can't quite agree with the contract thing. It's become an industry standard across the board. From the "mcdojo" concept to actual schools. From an coaching standpoint, you're going to invest a great deal of time in making an individual better. If they drift off after 6 month of work, then you're out that investment of building, usually really slowly, a training partner. The contract has to help with actually showing up to training.

I just don't see an issue with contract, and I've trained at schools both with and without. I have yet to hear a pitch that didn't include a way out for either medical reasons on forced lifestyle change (ie. loss of job, job transfer to another city, ect.)

At the rate of 7/hour you quoted, assuming that you're going to class 3 times per week (around my average I'd guess) and that you're there about 2 hours per session, you're looking at a monthly fee of 168. That's actually above what you're average BJJ school will charge per month. I don't think that's an issue most of the time.

So, even if they are using a contract this does not mean that you're being exploited finacially for the knowldege and coaching you're recieveing.

I just think it's a reality in this day and age.

I agree here. I'd also add that a McDojo isn't a place where the instructors make a living off of teaching. It isn't even a place where the fees may be high. It's a place where you go, sign long term contracts (usually 2 to 3 years) and are promoted at an accelerated rate. They usually have things like "black belt club" where you pay another fee and you learn even more forms and weapons ect. Probably the most important distinction, however, is the lack of actual skill you gain at a McDojo. You get 8 and 9 year old kids wearing black belts, teaching classes and, in reality, they have no actual ability to defend themselves.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree. Contracts aren't necessarily a bad thing, and just because you hear the word "contract" doesn't mean you should not consider the school.

When I was at my first TKD school, my instructr did contracts mainly because he didn't want to be a bill collector. And that doesn't bother me as a student, either. I have an ongoing contract at my current TKD school. I know I'm not going to quit anytime soon, and I'd rather not have to worry about getting a check in on time every month. The amount is withdrawn automatically every month, and I don't worry about it.

Its a good tool if used correctly.