• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Avoiding Telegraphing Punches

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like the traditional 52 Blocks gi. Belts aren't allowed so at Shodan level someone braids your hair.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

In all seriousness, why are they wearing DOC clothes?

Addressing the content otherwise, that's a nice quick punch, but not real strong. I borrow a concept from Eskrima-hide your hands in movement. It's harder to see something move toward you that is already in motion than it is to see something that is still start moving toward you. I hope that made sense.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I think they were on the set filming one of the Undisputed sequels, which are based on a prison fighting circuit or something like that.

Addressing the content otherwise, that's a nice quick punch, but not real strong. I borrow a concept from Eskrima-hide your hands in movement. It's harder to see something move toward you that is already in motion than it is to see something that is still start moving toward you. I hope that made sense.

Abernethy had an interesting thread going on his website in regards to this video. One point brought up was that this concept may be more applicable to competition fighting than to self-defense. However, depending on the self-defense scenario, being able to know how to deliver a pre-emptive strike with minimal telegraphing would be beneficial. The strikes that came after, however, I'm not so sure I'd worry about the telegraphs. Keep blasting away, and use good mechanics to generate power.

On a side note, watching these guys talk was quite cool.

In a fighting application it could be used (as a jab) to make an initial blow to your opponents face, because sometimes making that first strike is all you need to push your opponents off balance physically and mentally. I'm sure, actually, that if a study were to be done, in most street fights, the one who landed the first strike is the one who wins, assuming strength and training are relatively similar.

I think they were on the set filming one of the Undisputed sequels, which are based on a prison fighting circuit or something like that.

I am SO glad you knew this, Brian. My first impression wasn't very positive! :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

In a fighting application it could be used (as a jab) to make an initial blow to your opponents face . . .

I was thinking this myself.

. . . because sometimes making that first strike is all you need to push your opponents off balance physically and mentally.

And then slam away. Or maybe the other guy's so shocked he pulls back, and you can, too, ending the fight there--if you're lucky.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 months later...