• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spinning kicks and Arial kicks....

High kicks, when done properly, are effective in a real fight?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. High kicks, when done properly, are effective in a real fight?

• Heck ya!
    • No way!

i think they can be good. if you were totally untrained and the guy you were about to fight did a big jumping spinning kick at head height you'd be pretty scared. and even if you wernt if you get kicked in the head it hurts.

they can be very affective aswell. i gave my sparring partner a dead arm for half an hour coz i kicked him hard in the right place.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
While I believe that properly executed techniques are effective, I would never try to leave my feet, or leave myself in a position to be off balance. It is much easier to go low, keep your balance, and then you can kick to the head when they are doubled over.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

high kicks? Are they necessary for a fight??? no..Are they efficient in a fight? No...Will it tire you out in a fight? YES...

although u could use a high kick in a fight, I rather not use them...It's not necessary..Stick to the basic..I rather conserve my energy..Besides it takes longer and more effort to execute aerial kicks.Why do it? I see no point...Do it if you want to show off..

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

I have never been caught by a flying kick or high kicks for that matter. Of course Im a defensive fighter with the ability to pick and choose my spots in point comp. Im sure they could be effective sometimes. Depends on the person your fighting.

How did this get into a discussion about HIGH kicks? I thought the topic was spinning or aerial kicks? High kicks, although can be classified similarly, aren't the focus here. What about the topic?

Me, personally? I don't rule anything out. The frequency I have used such a technique in a fight is quite low. HOWEVER, it is because I did use that particular technique that the fight ended.

Admittedly, I use spinning kicks more often than I do aerial kicks. The reason: the opportunity to use them doesn't present itself much. Does this mean I leave them out of my training? No. Why? Simply because there may come a time in which I may have to use such a kick, and if I don't have that kick in my arsenal then I have put myself in a situation I would not like to be in. Disadvantage because of limitation.

I include them in my training for several reasons. One, done properly they can be very effective. By PROPERLY I mean done with the correct timing, placement, power, and speed. This, by the way, can be applied to any technique.

May I ask a question? Throwing any attack improperly has a very high rate of failure. Does this mean that we do not train at all? No, we train because the opportunity may either present itself or be created and we will then execute our technique properly. To limit ourselves otherwise could place in the least desirable position we could ask for.

So, spinning or aerial kicks when executed properly are fine. But you must be aware every attack must done with common sense. Knowing your kick will be caught, would you still throw it? The possibilities are near endless.

Spinning kicks, i.e. reverse spinning side-kicks, hook kicks, etc., are great for set-ups. If your opponent attacks with a kick a spinning kick is great to counter that. (Just look at the TKD counter to a roundhouse or sidekick) If you want to draw your opponent a spinning reverse side kick works wonders when done properly.

Aerial kicks, although, less applicable than other kicks, can still be effective. Think of using it as a counter to a low kick to the leg. As he prepares to kick jump, spin, and whack him in the face. There are uses for this type of kick. Limited that they are, they still exist. And when done properly can work.

Does this mean these types of kicks are all that you use? Of course not. The topic, I don't think, was on using these all the time. I don't believe a martial artist should limit himself on any plane.

Finally, I read a bit of misinformation that I must correct. Forgive my rudeness.

...a high side kick or a high swing kick is never really going to help you, not only are they slower to perform but the height pulls a lot of your bodyweight from the kick...

There is immense power in a high side kick. Or a high roundhouse. Or a high hook kick. I do not speak from conjecture here. I have catapulted a 100lbs kicking bag with a high side kick to the "neck" of the bag(The bag's top being over 6ft). I have split the bolts of the mechanism holding the bag to the beam with a high roundhouse. There is NO exaggeration in these statements.

Slower? I suppose when compared to lower kicks, but the difference to the one being attacked isn't anything to worry about. Let's say it takes you 1 sec to throw a low kick. It takes you 1.00001 to throw a high kick. Yes, the low kick is faster, but at that difference does it matter?

A high kick can be done fast. Lightning fast. A high kick has immense power, enough to end a fight upon contact. (Trauma to the head is usually more severe than trauma to the body or legs...)

How do I know this? I have ended fights with a kick to the head. My brother has ended fights with kick to the head. What kind of fights? Fights on the street. Fights that were not contests of strength or skill. Fights for survival and personal safety. Do I do them all the time? I only do them when they would work. That happens to be a lot.

Maybe your philosophy is different, that's fine. I'm not a preacher to convert anyone. But, when an absolute is stated that I know not to be an absolute I will speak. I can only speak for what I know.

I'm sure we've all had our own epxeriences of "been there, done that." But don't expect your experiences to limit others. Just because a certain attack doesn't work for you, does not necessarily mean that that attack is useless for all.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein