• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Once Upon a Time

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Wow, thanks kickchick.

I just emailed that article to one of my instructors who's feeling a bit despondent about martial art in general.

Great reality check. :up:

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Outstanding KC. I agree with all except close to the end it says-.."Women were much prettier",---Nahhhh, you could just complement an attractive female in the old days without worrying about sexual harrassment or being politically correct! :D

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

Anytime something becomes bigger you loose what it used to be. Maybe the worst thing about America is we long for the past. The good ole days. Things were always better then. However the American Dream is to have it better than what your mom and dad did. God I love America.

Anyhow I do agree the dojo much like anything else has became less strict and more social. Is that a bad thing? Most of us say yes but it has is good points as well. Really my biggest problem with the relax state of karate is the unworthy black belts running around. I think they hurt us (martial arts) more than anything.

As far as being more social well people don't fight as they once did. I mean karate is more a hobbies or form of exercise for most now. I don't know that that is a bad thing. Look at were the world was in 1900 and where it is today. No Cars, No Planes, Not much electric, no mass production of food or clothes. Times are much easier now. Thus the demand for a hard line dojo is not here. Yeah we still may get mugged when going out but in general we are much safer.

Best EX I can think of is your local High School. No sports team was ever as great as the one who won the championship first. Regardless how many you won since. No girl was ever as good looking as the Homecoming queen your FR year. No group of Sr's was ever as close as you and your friends. Kids today are smaller, and dumber than they were in the past.

People don't change the times do. Its simple economic theory if there is a demand we will increase the supply. People got to many things to do now. Video Games, Mini Mails, CPU and the Internet, Cars which make girls more accusable, etc. Thus for dojo's to survive they can not have the HARD LINE attitude they once did. Because people will not stay. I'm not saying that is a good thing but that is how it is...

You have my word I'm doing my best to keep those guidelines KickChick posted in existence. Because being a History teacher I love the past but I do understand the past makes the future. I teach for love of teaching not money and rank is earned not given from me. That how I was taught and its my job to keep that alive. At least to my students.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

There were probably always greedy schools and crooked teachers. Nostalgia just has a way of filtering out the bad. I think that's what the last paragraph was hinting at.

(not that I don't agree with the article... I just have to take everything-was-better-in-the-old-days stories with a grain of salt when the author wasn't even there :))

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

great article deby..and sad but true..can we ever get martial arts back to that? :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Very thought provoking response G95. It is exteremely difficult to have the best of all worlds.

In the good old days there were few women students. And I am sure there were very few handicapped students. In many ways I am glad that some things have changed. I am also glad that my dojo is very tradional in values. And no belts are given to anyone.

I also highly appreciate plumping, air conditioning, and the internet.

Thinking about the past is a good thing in many ways it allows us to have dreams. And solid accomplishments of others to try to equall or surpass.

Thank You Sai

Matrial Arts thanks to people like Funakoshi, Lee, and Norris have taken on a more public role. More people are introduced to it. All of us agree that those 3 men have done more for MA than anyone. However because of what they done has caused the guidelines to lower.

Funakoshi changed kata and stuff to make it more simple for school childern. Lee developed his own art with no tradition, most people who do that now are made fun of for cheaping the art. Norris came to natioal fame in sport karate and movies. Not what it was developed for. Yeah MA today has its problems but we are much better off than we were before IMO.....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."