• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training with a chief instructor

ChristianeHigashi

Hello everyone :)

new here.. purple belt in higashi karate kai and trainign in South Wales.

Just wondering how everyone feels about training with a chief instructor?

I recently started back to karate and have 2 courses with the main man of higashi, Peter Spanton.

I get creeped out as soon as i find out about a course with him! the man is a machine but every second of the training session is amazing and you learn a load of stuff. Its brutal but so worth it.

i've trained with him before but it was about 5 years ago and in that session im pretty sure he nocked a man out by the sharpest knife had I have ever seen!

Anyone had this experience yet? do you get too afraid to breath too? hah

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been in a class with our organization's GM, but I didn't get that worked up over it. I just listen and do what he says. Its a nice change up for sure.

My Shuri-Ryu sensei was the step-son of a Chief Instructor (Shuri-Ryu has a Board of Chief Instructors and one Head of Style) and so we trained with the Chief Instructor (a Hachidan) regularly. It's really not that scary once you understand that training with him isn't any different than training with your usual sensei in that he knows WAY more than you. He just also happens to know WAY more than your sensei :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Trained with various high ranking master's in my style, including being lucky enough to do a masterclass with Gen. Choi's son, Choi Jung Hwa.

I wouldn't be that scared, just see it as a fantastic opportunity to learn from someone who knows so much more than you. Pay attention, try hard, and it could be you people are desperate to train under in a few years.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

There was a time when I trained with our Soke, Judan and our Kiacho/Dai-Soke, Kudan/Judan daily before I opened my own dojo. Then, I would train with them 3 times a week. Then when I moved to Oklahoma, I'd train with them once every three months. Then, when I assumed the position of Kaicho/Chief Instructor of our Hombu, I trained with my Dai-Soke 4 times a week.

Then that all ended when our Soke passed away, and then our Dai-Soke suffered a stroke, and then he passed away.

I miss them so very much!!

:cry:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Since I belong to a small organization, once a week I train with our Kancho. If you have the opportunity, do so, as you will grow by leaps and bounds. I'm already amazed at the few months I've been training with him and how much overall my skill has improved.

As an adult, I would say that even the greatest is still just a man.

But I do remember being 13 or 14 years old and having Bart Vale squeezing my head like a grape. Good times. If you don't know the name, here he is knocking out Ken Shamrock.

Edited by MasterPain

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

You've got to love a good worked shoot.

Fooled me. I guess it shouldn't have. Most of his fights were uglier, nasty things.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma