• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Live training

The Blauer gear seems to be a good compromise between protection and mobility. I have never used it but saw some video where two people were geared up and were able to go at it with decent contact, but still have enough mobility to pull off submissions as well. Anyone ever use it?

The $1,500 model or the $2,000 model? LoL.

I've only seen photos and videos of their gear, but it seems overkill. There's a lot of padding in non-vital areas such as the chest. Other areas such as the back of the knees aren't protected. Perhaps a better way to go is to rather than pad the body, pad the striking tool such as the fist, elbow, knee and feet. What does it matter whether the body or fist is padded as long as the point of impact is padded?

But I wonder whether one can put together a poor-man's version with a chest guard from the TKD guys, a face mask & throat guard from the Kendo guys, and leg gears from the MT guys.

It may get 80-90% of the coverage of the Blauer gear at 10% the cost.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, scratch what I said about making your own poor-mans gear. Just go over to the nearest MMA gyms and buy some. Most of the recreational MMA guys are wearing massive gear. (Interesting enough ... even though they're not even sparing full contact, LoL.).

The Blauer Hi Gear is reallyh good stuff. I've used it extensively for ct work at the department I work at.

Yes, it heavily pads the chest, but after 2 weeks of having people spear you across the mats to gain space you'll appreciate it. The quad protection is pretty good, and when paired with the shin gear on the other end of a kick it eats impact realitively well. The forearm protection is adaquate. Again, not thought about much by fighter types, but very much appreciated after classes of weapon retention where you're striking to the grabbers forearm. I'd assume it work as well if that's your systems response to any sort of grab.

I like the gorget a lot, it provides padding to the throat/ neck area that keeps errent strikes from rattling the side of the c spine too bad. The best part of the armor is the headgear. First up, it's total coverage and a clear panel in front. This means you never have to worry about losing an eye to a failed knife defense too often. Plus, the face shield is rated to take simunitions, which means you can incorporate hands on work with cqb. Bonus.

Should ever martial artist invest in one? Probibly not, but it's a great piece of gear. For repeated combination training over and over it's fantastic. Plus, the mobility in it is excellent. You can actually move like an attacker and not just a determined zombie.

The RedMan suit was a good start, and it sounds like the Blauer suit is what technology has advanced to. I've seen the RedMan suit in use, and although the attacker can't move much, it does allow the defender to throw with full power and see how the force affects the target.

I would love to see the Blauer suit.

In the good old days, you simply went into a bar, or where ever punks hung out, and got into a fight. Today, testing martial art skills on the street is not condoned, and too dangerous unless you are willing to fight against weapons.

Oh, and you will have to be willing to do the time for your actions.

In my jujutsu class, i have everyone line up acording to rank with me at the front of the line. Then i walk out and turn around and have my students come and throw strikes etc. one after the other ill apply technique aftrer technique until i have been threw everyone, then i go to the back of the line so the next in does the same. This way students get to work out on different types of body sizes and weight, short and tall. We call it slaughter line :)

If ur going thru hell, just keep on going

In my jujutsu class, i have everyone line up acording to rank with me at the front of the line. Then i walk out and turn around and have my students come and throw strikes etc. one after the other ill apply technique aftrer technique until i have been threw everyone, then i go to the back of the line so the next in does the same. This way students get to work out on different types of body sizes and weight, short and tall. We call it slaughter line :)

We call that Attack and Defend.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

In my somewhat limited experience of cross-training, and my massive experience in new dojo members that come from strictly self-defense styles, I can find no difference in application between sport training and self-defense.

We sport train, full aliveness 99% of the class. No super killing techniques, just real Judo, JJJ, kenjutsu, and for some students, including me, aikido (which is obviously not alive training).

I feel supremely confident in my ability to defend myself with the training I have, and would not hesitate at all. Sport training is great for establishing a very competitive mindset going into an altercation, and a 100% understanding of exactly how capable you are at whatever technique you're about to employ.

As a matter of fact the only fight trained people I'd be nervous to get into an engagement against would also be sport trained, ie wrestlers and boxers/kick boxers. Keep in mind my cross train experience is limited to the students that come in from other arts, and one period where travel lent me the opportunity to train at self-defense systems' JKD for the month I was working as a research assistant.

Edit: I'm definitely not disparaging any self-defense training at all!!!! I just feel sport training gets so maligned when it comes to self-defense and needlessly so.

Self defense techniques are meant to violently hurt the attacker.
Really? Strange. I think this is the problem with many people's mentalities. Self defense should be do prevent someone from hurting you. This does not, by necessity, mean that you will have to hurt them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."