• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Live training

Self defense techniques are meant to violently hurt the attacker.
Really? Strange. I think this is the problem with many people's mentalities. Self defense should be do prevent someone from hurting you. This does not, by necessity, mean that you will have to hurt them.

Self defense is doing whatever is necessary to prevent harm to yourself or another innocent person. No more or less. It could require extreme measures or it could all be handled verbally. Situations are different and each should be dealt with accordingly.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Strange. I think this is the problem with many people's mentalities. Self defense should be do prevent someone from hurting you. This does not, by necessity, mean that you will have to hurt them.

I'm not sure if it is a mentality problem or not. What I do think is that sometimes people that might have to defend themselves let the thought of having to hurt someone get to them, and then aren't able to defend themselves successfully because of the restraint. When it does come time to use force, its important to committ to the goal.

Maybe, it's that their scared because they are not sure of themselves as a effective MAist. And this can be for so many reasons: product of a McDojo, don't seriously train to improve, don't train at all, etc.

Thinking is not the same as knowing. They think that they can begets that they know that they can't because of their low self-esteem. If they don't believe in their abilities; they've lost already.

The proof is on the floor...on the streets!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is the way it was explained to me:

"Don't fight! If you must fight, you have to be willing to knock down the opponent, and while he is lying at the edge of consciousness, break his face, arms, and legs to put the fear of God into him. Without this kind of fear, he may be an angry enemy for life. You will always have to watch your back as he may take revenge for his humiliation. If you can't do this, don't fight. Better to give the appearance of a coward, then to look over your shoulder forever."

As for bullies, if you know your stuff, you will walk "the walk", and they will avoid you.

"Don't fight! If you must fight, you have to be willing to knock down the opponent, and while he is lying at the edge of consciousness, break his face, arms, and legs to put the fear of God into him. Without this kind of fear, he may be an angry enemy for life. You will always have to watch your back as he may take revenge for his humiliation. If you can't do this, don't fight. Better to give the appearance of a coward, then to look over your shoulder forever."

As for bullies, if you know your stuff, you will walk "the walk", and they will avoid you.

I disagree. While they are barely conscious, you call the police, press charges and put the fear of the judicial system in them.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Right. If you are at the point of using martial skill on another individual, then the situation MUST be dire enough to take whatever action needed. This usually ends up with the bad guy in bad straights. Damamge is what can turn the tide in your favor.

When forced to deploy skill, the last thing in my mind is the well being of my attacker.

Maybe, it's that their scared because they are not sure of themselves as a effective MAist. And this can be for so many reasons: product of a McDojo, don't seriously train to improve, don't train at all, etc.

Thinking is not the same as knowing. They think that they can begets that they know that they can't because of their low self-esteem. If they don't believe in their abilities; they've lost already.

The proof is on the floor...on the streets!

I have dealt with his myself, and it is no lie. Its tough.

I disagree. While they are barely conscious, you call the police, press charges and put the fear of the judicial system in them.

Agreed as well. If you knock someone unconscious, and then continue to tune on them to the degree of breaking limbs and the like when they cannot defend themselves, you've essentially become the attacker and put yourself in a position to be criminally charged.

It as as much about breaking down the mental barrier of hitting someone - as it is the fear of being hit.

As part of our Atemi waza, we practice strikes to the face, pushes and slaps with no gloves or guards etc. You just have to take the knock.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

• 3 months later...

Yeah...the sound of a judges gavel can be very fearful.

**Proof is on the floor!!!