• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kanku sho technique #15 (koukutsudachi uchiuke gedanbarai)

Shizentai

My Sensei always told us that there is not just one correct bunkai for any given kata, but rather that each karateka should do his/her own research as to how these movements that we train again and again can be adapted and used.

That being said, I'm still feeling unsure about the application of the quintessential waza of kanku sho. You know the one. If you ever see a picture of someone doing kanku sho, their body is in this position. Well, if not then here is Nakayama Sensei doing it on the cover of a Best Karate book.

Anyway, aside from just being a simultaneous forearm block and downward block, I was wondering if there is an application of catching a kick as well. This is just my own intuition that I'm working with here, but has anyone else found this application to be a possibility?

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Think of one wrist being grabbed, and you release it by pulling that wrist up into the middle block position as you use the down block position to strike the grabbing hand down and away.

Think of one wrist being grabbed, and you release it by pulling that wrist up into the middle block position as you use the down block position to strike the grabbing hand down and away.

We use this in heian sandan bunkai for uchi uke gedan barai moment.

A style is just a name.

That would be the next move ,is it not ? and the stance is raised slowly with tension .

here yahara sensei demonstrate it best ,this particular move first done 12 second into the kata ...

It is one of my favourite katas ,so dynamic and invigorating and meaningful .

never give up !

That would be the next move ,is it not ? and the stance is raised slowly with tension .

here yahara sensei demonstrate it best ,this particular move first done 12 second into the kata ...

It is one of my favourite katas ,so dynamic and invigorating and meaningful .

The way I read it, and from looking at the picture, is where I drew my conclusion from. I'm not a Karate guy, so I was just trying to picture the move in my head. From what I saw in that kata, I thought it was later in the form, when he was in middle stances facing away from the camera, but they appeared to be higher than the pic he showed earlier.

The way I read it, and from looking at the picture, is where I drew my conclusion from. I'm not a Karate guy, so I was just trying to picture the move in my head. From what I saw in that kata, I thought it was later in the form, when he was in middle stances facing away from the camera, but they appeared to be higher than the pic he showed earlier.

Sorry for the confusion. The technique I am talking about is actually in that kata twice. @pers: Thanks for the cool video! He is pretty fantastic isn't he!? My senpai used to tell me stories). Anyway In that video of Yahara Sensei the move I am talking about is performed once at 0:22 (facing towards the camera), and again at 0:30 (facing away). It is in back stance and in both cases the right arm does a forearm block while the left is doing a downward block.

I was just wondering what other bunkai people may have found for this move other than the obvious upper block and downward block.

Thanks for your responses! I'll have to try the wrist-release with a partner next time I get to the dojo!

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

My Sensei always told us that there is not just one correct bunkai for any given kata, but rather that each karateka should do his/her own research as to how these movements that we train again and again can be adapted and used.

That being said, I'm still feeling unsure about the application of the quintessential waza of kanku sho. You know the one. If you ever see a picture of someone doing kanku sho, their body is in this position. Well, if not then here is Nakayama Sensei doing it on the cover of a Best Karate book.

Anyway, aside from just being a simultaneous forearm block and downward block, I was wondering if there is an application of catching a kick as well. This is just my own intuition that I'm working with here, but has anyone else found this application to be a possibility?

To the point....Yes. I've executed this very Bunkai and I've seen other karateka's at tournaments execute against a kick within their own Bunkai. At first, I denied it as a practical application, because I assumed with trial and error that it was almost impossible to catch a full power kick done at full speed. However, that was due to my own karate immaturity. Soon time tested efforts replaced my immaturity with maturity and I had few doubts, if any, of ever being able to catch a full power kick, but over the many years, I've grown to accept it as a practical application because it is possible to catch a full power kick at full speed within this particular Bunkai. It's no more unpractical as executing an Ippon Seoinage at either of these points of the Kanku sho either.

Enjoy!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There are ALWAYS more than oen bunkai for any given move.

On this specific technique you have:

1. the obvious blocking a kick and punch at the same time.

2. blocking a punch and groin/leg strike

3. blocking a kick and doing a strike to the head.

4. or the one nobody ever realizes unless you really study bunkai, is this is also a throw. How? Imagine a punch followed by a kick (or visa versa), you block then catch the appendage, then reverse the technique (just do the block again with the opposite arms) and it turns it into a throw that basically makes your opponent do a cartwheel in place and lands them on their head. The arm goes down while the leg comes up.

It's easier to demonstrate than to put into writing, but it's a legitimate bunkai of he kata.

Others?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.