• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I feel bad

holley

one thing about karate:

if your afraid to hurt someone then you shouldn't be doing it.

i was told this by a well respected karateka and its what i live by. if the kid was dumb enough to move the kick bag then hes tough enough to suck up a kick or 5!

at my dojo we have 8-10 year olds that in comps get kicked in the face and they get back up and take it over and over. this type of kid wont learn from mistakes and personally i dont think he should train if hes not willing to listen and learn.

~Rhi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm not sure where an orange belt stands in your grading system but it's a 9th kyu in shotokan which I practice. "

Nuh uh. In our association and dojo its a 7th kyu.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

good god am i thrilled i got to train in an all adult 21+ environment!

i'd feel bad hurting anybody intentionally, that i'm not competing against. no matter how much of a pain my partner is, i would never intentionally lock a technique in to cause pain. especially 21 and up, where you know people need to put a roof over their heads and food on the table, and can't afford to miss a ton of work with a wrenched back etc.

We do only have 1/3 of the story. Which is why we probably shouldn't assume the child is injured, nor should we call anyone an "offender".

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

We do only have 1/3 of the story. Which is why we probably shouldn't assume the child is injured, nor should we call anyone an "offender".
True, meanwhile Holley gets a very valuable lesson in public opinion.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Hey Holley -- MasterPain is right about the public opinion part. I just wanted to say that I hope you're doing OK. As I recall from my readings on here, without rechecking all of the posts, you are a 20 year old or so orange belt -- a beginner! My opinion is that as an adult you should not be kicking a kid in the head numerous times, no matter how clueless he is. Nevertheless, as an orange belt you should be getting more guidance and supervision on this. I hope you don't feel bad about everyone's feedback. Getting ahead and excelling in the martial arts is largely about persistance, and this kind of thing is just one of the many many things that can discourage people, so I hope that you hang in there!