• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I feel bad

holley

I wonder if the kid has mental issues. But it seems like he doesn't want to be there. And it's unfair to Holley to have to baby-sit him, particularly when she is paying for training.

The Sensei should boot the kid.

I agree with you, brickshooter. There is no reason for a focused participant to be paired constantly with someone who doesn't want to be there. And if they don't care about their own training, you can bet they don't give a rat's tail about someone else's training. I know that's not what I pay for every month.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need a whole lot more control. remember you are an orange belt.. i know your new to it all but still.. you talk like you can handle karate so handle yourself and dont kick kids in the face 5 times

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

ok, i don't agree with numerous footface plantings but as an orange belt in TSKF i never got any guidance and had to figure it out for my self and ask questions, sometimes thats the way it goes, especially with a larger sized dojo.

~Rhi

I just thought I would let everyone know that i have had a lot more control when i do my kicks.

also my sensei has me training with blackbelts.

Only because I am advanced and have showed her that i can do it. I am doing katas with the blackbelts..

Now an orangebelt!!!

I just thought I would let everyone know that i have had a lot more control when i do my kicks.

also my sensei has me training with blackbelts.

Only because I am advanced and have showed her that i can do it. I am doing katas with the blackbelts..

That's good news. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your improvements. :karate:

I train with a lot of kids because our club isn't big enough to split into Adult/kids classes, its very difficult when we do any sparring or Kumite with the kids as some of them can punch/kick quite well but we are mindful of using exact control so that contact is "just" made but not using any force or power. Obviously a different matter between adults.

There are a couple of kids that are also a pain or don't listen but we try our best, if it destroys your enjoyment then try to avoid partnering with them.

On the other hand they may need a lot more patience and hard work to help them as you would hope Karate could eventually teach them more respect and discipline. I have seen some kids change and mature during their time learning, my kids have also benifited greatly.

sometimes we just gotta drink a cup of concrete and let it set...

i get paired with a girl i can't stand training with but i'm the only one who has enough patience to help her learn....granted she has disabilities but it's how she acts. i want to improve my karate but she is a person to so i help her.

the kid you speak of is obviously arrogant and should receive some sort of official warning that if he doesn't pull his head in there will be disciplinary action taken

~Rhi

I had to think about this one a bit before I could respond. I worked with a mixed group of kids and adults. Working in adult class could be much easier. Working with the kids class learning with them was more challenging and in many ways provided learning experience the adult class did not provide. There was one boy I often got paired with for nearly 2 1/2 years because like you we were of a the closest size in the class. We were also of a similar rank. Our biggest issue was sparring - at first in the lower ranks neither one of us were very good at it. Now I am talking a bit over a 25 year age difference at the time. One of the last times I sparred with him I knocked him clear across the room.

Now don't get too outraged. I caught him stepping back and hit him with a center punch at less than full power. We both learned different lessons in that encounter.

When it comes to something like focus mitt training though there should be an implicit understanding. You hold the mitt correctly or you get hit. Your age should not matter. Particularly not in a situation where the mitt training is to be done with power. You want to mess around when you are holding the mitt you better have your mouth piece in, your helmet on and depending on the level of the kick your cup.

My question is when it is the boys turn to kick/punch at the mitt how does he do then?

One discipline lesson I remember in kids class was before class one day one of the boys managed to insult a girl calling her fat. Now they were of a similar size and same rank. Come time to spar sensei made sure the two of them were paired up. About the 3rd time the boy picked himself up off the floor it was considered his lesson was learned and in the process he learned to respect the girls ability. That was the end of that problem.

It is the kids that had problems outside of class that tended to benefit most from karate. It may have taken some rough lessons at time but if they stuck it out they gradually began to have improvements shown at school and at home. This does not take place overnight it takes time. And with some it takes much more time than it does others.

no one likes being paired up with him, i keep getting him because thats who my sensei puts me with

When things like that happen consider it part of your training and suck it up. Am I a hard liner? Not really, I have seen more years of training and you may be in the process of being groomed to do more assisting later on. I got stuck working with a family of 3 kids one time with the attention span of ...... I did my best whether I liked it or not. Ultimately 6 months later sensei kicked them out of class. They proved themselves to be just too disruptive and were taking away too much from the rest of the class. Who failed us or them? I see failure on both parts.