• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I feel bad

holley

Wow. So much going on here.

1. The kid. Talk to the sensei about him, and how working with him is affecting your training. If the kid is that big of a problem, and is disrespectful, then maybe its time to show him the door?

2. Kicking the kid in the head 5 times. Yeah, once is an accident, 2 is a trend, 3 is a streak...hard to say, because we weren't there, but you can see how it kind of looks. Now an adult goofing off like that, I can see tagging him in the head for being a dork in training. But a 10 year old, is a bit different.

3. Feeling bad. It will pass. I'm not going to say you should or you shouldn't feel bad, but don't let it affect anything else you do right now. The event is over, so let it be over.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have to deal with kids like that professionally all the time. There's a lot of horror stories that I have only heard the slightest hints of when I talk to other teachers. A LOT. Don't expect parents to have done a good job. There are people who are broken.. a LOT of them... and there are people who don't get taught things right.. a LOT of them.

I work as a substitute teacher in public schools. There's often one or two "problem" kids in a normal class of say, 25 people. Call it 2-3% of the kids I interact with. When I mention them to other teachers, I hear them tell me not to worry because they all have to deal with him and they've made every attempt to deal with it except that _____, where ___ is generally horrific, absurd, or ridiculous. (The most recent one was a 6th grader who I mentioned to their regular teacher, only to be told to not worry about it because they had moved out of the house with the parents' permission, didn't come to class with the parents' permission, etc. and were pretty much only there because they went out of habit, sometimes.)

Yes, anyone would feel bad, but if someone is refusing to do directions that has immediate painful feedback to that point, chalk it up as "There's something messed up in that kid's head". Honestly, you kicking the kid in the face may have been one of the high points of their day in comparison.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

About the guy that's stepping on you. You are an adult, and that's your good fortune to bet paired up with the kind of person that you might meet in a real fight. Try to study how to deal with that situation.

Absolutely, agreed. :up:

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

It hurts he doesnt realise that he is doing it, and he broke my little toe when stepping on me. each time it just get harder and harder.

Now an orangebelt!!!

It hurts he doesnt realise that he is doing it, and he broke my little toe when stepping on me. each time it just get harder and harder.

Because he is an adult, politely explain it to him that he's hurting you. If that doesn't work, forearm him in the groin to assist his comprehension.

I xplained it to him and he didnt care, he just told me that its not his fault he has giant feet

Well then when your fists are at the level of his groin because you are smaller, that too is not your fault. :? If he can't control where his feet are going, he has no control, period. He needs to be told that, firmly.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I read an article some time ago on MA training and the kind of accidental contact that can happen in the dojo. The jist of the article was that when it happened, you essentially say "my bad," and move on.

When the Martial Arts are no longer a contact sport, then they come pretty darn close to losing the Martial nature. When you get two bodies interacting in drills involving things like kicking, punching, locking, and throwing, stuff is going to happen. When it does, and if its accidental, apologize, and move on. No one learns anything when they spend time feeling bad about some accidental contact in a contact activity. And if the people you continue to train with continue to be lackadaisical, unispired, and just plain intrusive and obstructive to the training time that you are paying for, then I say just let them have what's coming to them. I imagine they will eventually shape up and train right, or leave. Either way, your problem gets solved.