Warrior's hands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, not every "warrior" would have had hands like that. Remember that "warrors" originally used weapons primarily. I'm not saying that calloused knuckles or Iron Palm training aren't worthwhile, but I don't think it is as necessary an aspect of the overall training of a Martial Artist. I do think the mindset and knowledge of how to apply the physical skills is a more important part. But that's just me.

IMO there is a case for some light conditioning though. Maybe not to the extremes where your knuckles are the size of golf balls but a little bit should be part of your training. When you strike anything, something's got to give and personally I'd prefer it weren't my own knuckles or fingers. Mindset, knowledge and technique are of course so important but I've seen people seriously bash up their hands because they've never conditioned them. Same with the forearms.

Its just maintaining your attacking tools, your equipment. You wouldn't shoot a rusty gun? or strike with a dull blade?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

There is no one best way, only ways that suite each individual. On one hand, iron fist conditions one for maximum impact, on the other hand it destroys sensitivity. If your daily life is a matter of surviving a fight, the first matters, but if you are a musician, then the second is a consideration. There are many other factors that go into a KO; stealth, and joint alignment, just to name a few. The extent of conditioned fist are just another.

Assuming that the knuckle can be strengthened, which is certainly possible to a point, is there any evidence to suggest that any of this training can strengthen the carpal and metacarpal bones? In the boxing/kickboxing/mma world, these are the bones that people break the most.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

You can't really condition bones. But you can condition the muscles on your forearms and shins to kick and block. These can get really tough

Over time you will get desensitized.

When you fight someone that hasn't gone through this training, they won't know what the hell hit them.

https://www.bladesmartny.com - tactical knife fighting and street fighting self defense

When I was training in Japan I remember an old sensei from a nearby dojo came to visit ours on my Sensei's birthday. When he grabbed my arm to fix my koukutsu dachi I saw that he not only had GIANT knuckle callouses, but the callouses had cracks in them that were deep and black in the valleys. ...they were the most extreme karate hands I've ever seen!

My hands by contrast are very small, supple, and have a weak grip. The one good thing I have going for me is a genetic deformation of the nerves in my forearms. Basically I can punch and do knuckle push-ups and have my hands joint-locked till the cows come home, but I don't really feel the pain. My fists are just numb little bludgeons.

...Inconvenient for cooking though.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro