• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great thread idea MasterPain :)

Well here's one of mine from Feb this year. Continuous semi-contact. Just got the footage off of my instructor's wife who filmed for me. Another fine example of technique going out the window and fighting rubbish on the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4A72bBHY5Y

:lol: Doesn't anyone have any videos where they win? :P

You got beat in the kicking department, and some of your punches you really over-reached for. Other than that, great ring control. The person doing the chasing is usually the winner in my view, but I don't know the rules for this competition.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it sucks. Never ever spar like that in training. Just seem to get in the ring and completely forget I have legs. Been something I've been working on though; that video is definitely better than 3-4 years ago. Am trying to find some footage from 2009, that was a good year for me, was about 10 lbs lighter and a lot fitter :roll:

Its a points based rule set, so one point for every technique landed, +1 if the kick is high, +1 if its aerial etc.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Don't feel bad, Danielle. I end up going that route in most of my matches, too. I'd work things in class, and then when I'd get to a tournament, I would never take the chance to implement any of what I had trained.

I do have some video of one of my ATA tourneys where I did win some matches, and I think took first place. Its from several years back, late '90s, I think. But I'm not too proud; lots of hands hanging down, and it is point sparring. If I can ever get them switched to DVD, I'll see what I can do to get them uploaded.

TBH I think its the pressure. I spar much more naturally and well at the next level down; I've been undefeated at nationals for like 4 - 5 years now. Just when its an important match I lose my cool and spar like an idiot. I'm trying to get footage from the team sparring we did at the same tournament. Got paired against a 6ft+ really leggy girl but I did a lot better and forced a draw with her.

I've also got some old footage of me back in 2005 (?) sparring my sister (and beating her :D) and sparring another girl. I'm of two minds of whether to upload it though - it was bad :lol:

Be cool to see some of you in action too Brian :)

Great thread idea MasterPain :)

Well here's one of mine from Feb this year. Continuous semi-contact. Just got the footage off of my instructor's wife who filmed for me. Another fine example of technique going out the window and fighting rubbish on the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4A72bBHY5Y

:lol: Doesn't anyone have any videos where they win? :P

Hey, I did my part by posting a victory... But, you did pretty good, that was nice ring control. I haven't watched point fighting in so long that I got pumped up a few times because I thought you were in perfect position to knock her out. Of course then I realized that wasn't really an option... But if it were, I'd put plenty of money on you in a rematch.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Oh apologies Liver Punch, I had watched your vid. Its always great when the ref has to pull you off your opponent :P You got a mean roundhouse where you took his leg out at 0.25 secs.

Cheers by the way. :D

Oh apologies Liver Punch, I had watched your vid. Its always great when the ref has to pull you off your opponent :P You got a mean roundhouse where you took his leg out at 0.25 secs.

Cheers by the way. :D

Yeah, that thing hurts. A good part of developing that kick was done on my thigh.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Yes...good ring control Danielle.

I'd say that it was the quietest sparring match...I didn't hear one kihap. I also noticed that neither of you blocked/deflected one time; you both just absorbed the others attacks...interesting...some of the punches from either one of you would've tagged the other right in the face. Towards the end, you both looked tired.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'd say that it was the quietest sparring match...I didn't hear one kihap.

We don't kihap during sparring. Or at least not audibly. The contraction is there in the abdomen and diaphragm in the form of a sharp breath but you wont hear the kiai. You would in what we call "technical sparring" or self defense type sparring where the kiai is done on the finishing/disabling blow but because this is a continuous points match where we're not necessarily finishing the fight by disabling them, we don't kihap. In fact some refs will penalize you if you shout too much.

I also noticed that neither of you blocked/deflected one time; you both just absorbed the others attacks...interesting...some of the punches from either one of you would've tagged the other right in the face. Towards the end, you both looked tired.

Maybe we don't block the same way sensei8. Admittedly we do absorb a lot of blows but that's in part due to the points system. If it doesn't hit a target it doesn't score. So a lot of shots are taken on the guard although you don't do that too often otherwise you go home with a lot of bruises. Bad practice really.

But we do block/deflect. Sometimes :P If you watch the first exchange, she stops my leg from extending by lifting her own (0.16) and catching the kick on her shin, then my left arm is protecting against her 2 roundhouses (0.18 and 0.19) in a waist block type movement as I'm going back. Then in the second exchange her right arm goes down to stop my kick (0.24). Ok it doesn't look as crisp as what I've seen from Karate kumite but it does stop the movement from hitting the torso/scoring area.

And yep, I was knackered at the end. :dead:

• 2 months later...