• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu/Tae Kwon Do finally blending together.

I have trained consistently now my Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu for over two years now. That doesn't mean I haven't practiced each one individually for a long time though...but anyways, through those two years I was struggling constantly with both styles. But FINALLY my mind kind of realized how they fit together in the bigger picture.

Question: What do I do when I notice myself being in better shape than those in Kung Fu yet I find myself a way better fighter than those in Tae Kwon Do? Do I bring it up? or do I continue to practice and concentrate on keeping the art alive through myself...

p.s.

no, no poll, want to hear opinions, you guys are pretty good martial artists on this site spanning all different types of martial arts.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your practice of martial arts is your own. Every person is unique, and so their martial arts experience is unique.

You should ask yourself some things though. Even though you're in better shape than people in kungfu are you as good at everything else? Are you as good at sparring, forms, and the other exercises they do? What about weapons?

In TKD, what do you mean you're a better fighter? By whose rules? Are you a better puncher, or are you actually better by TKD rules? That's something to consider. Even if you are superior in all ways, it isn't something to bring up, because there's someone else out there that is better than you. There always is.

As far as keeping the art alive, there are millions of other people that are doing that. Trust me.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yeah, for the better shape than kung fu I meant as endurance, they tend to get tired faster. But they are better at weapons and other forms than me. With TKD i'm better at i guess real street fighting or iron body type of stuff.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

If you're finding yourself better, then congrats. I'd just leave it at that. If you feel you are that much more dominant in TKD, then work on things you don't feel as comfortable with to make it challenging for yourself.

Yeah, for the better shape than kung fu I meant as endurance, they tend to get tired faster. But they are better at weapons and other forms than me. With TKD i'm better at i guess real street fighting or iron body type of stuff.

So, you're better at the stuff in TKD that Kungfu covers and the stuff in Kungfu that TKD covers. There is no iron body in TKD, and many, many kung fu schools focus on forms and iron body, but not athletic conditioning the way TKD does. That's especially true if it's a WTF TKD school, because they do a ton of cardio for their 3 3-minute round system. Shouldn't you expect that to happen if you're training in both?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 3 weeks later...

the entire focus of your training should be to be better conditioned then those you train with, and be a better fighter than those around you. this isn't the pinnacle of your training, it's just the beginning of a new level of training you should be rededicating yourself to.