• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question?

holley

I trained for several years too. Then I got to a new school and they were "Oh. Oh heck no. You're not representing our school until you actually represent our school!" There was a lot of little things that I had to adjust and a lot of other lessons I had to pick up before I was ready for primetime. Your teacher might feel that you simply haven't gotten all of the things he feels are important to be represented into you yet. Again remember that when you go out to compete or whatever, you are representing his "brand".

Big name fast food restaurants (like the one I am sitting in at the moment) don't just let any old thing go out their door. They have a lot of standards that the stores have to meet as far as making a consistent product that everyone can count on to be safe, etc. and taste the same from one place to another. If one of their stores gets caught not meeting the standards, it reflects badly on the entire company; every store in the world is going to be hurt by the actions of that one flaky small business owner in nowheresburg. No, they don't care whether it was fine by the previous owners when the place was a "Bob's Eats". This is how "Burger McKing" rolls; meet standards with your product or you're out.

It is the same in the martial arts.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my sensei told me that i am the 1 star student in her class. she says that im one of the best ones in her class. she says that i will be probally be almost a black belt before the end of the year because i have a lot of the experience in martial arts.

Now an orangebelt!!!

Okay, so was I. That doesn't change the fact that it took me months before I was ready to be presented to the world as one of their students. It wasn't a skill thing, it was a branding and comportment thing.

Go ahead and ask your sensei about competing. If Sensei says "yes", they likely will be able to help set you up. But if Sensei says "no", respect that decision. If you don't, the only thing you will be "proving" to Sensei is that you are a untrustworthy loose cannon.

Im not going to lie I have been praying about this entire tournement thing I believe the right thing for me to do is to wait and see i my sensei says anything about it.

Now an orangebelt!!!

Im not going to lie I have been praying about this entire tournement thing I believe the right thing for me to do is to wait and see i my sensei says anything about it.

Karate teaches confidence and proactive behavior. Don't wait on someone to say something, ask. Tell her you would really like to compete. with 8 years of training and being close to black belt, it shouldn't be a problem.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Please don't do that thing where you keep your desire to do something secret, then get frustrated and angry and treacherous because no-one knows about or has done anything to help you reach the desire you have kept secret from them. If you want something, ask.

i am only an orange belt but she said thay I train like im more advances then that.

so what you are saying is that if i want to compete i should ask

Now an orangebelt!!!

Please don't do that thing where you keep your desire to do something secret, then get frustrated and angry and treacherous because no-one knows about or has done anything to help you reach the desire you have kept secret from them. If you want something, ask.

Very right. Passive-aggressive behavior is very unbecoming of a martial artist, or any human for that matter.

i am only an orange belt but she said thay I train like im more advances then that.

so what you are saying is that if i want to compete i should ask

yes

you both are right. tommorrow i am going to ask her about tournaments.

I really hope she says yes to the tournements.

but if not i have to be content.

what should i say? im having a hard time figureing it out

Now an orangebelt!!!