• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In the traditional way that the entire family taught things, white belt classes were all self defense classes, with most training being positional training as opposed to the typical type of training where both people start from their knees and do a full match. When someone could demonstrate the appropriate knowledge of all the self defense techniques, they were given their blue belt and were allowed to go to the blue belt and above classes, which is run the way that all schools run a typical class

I think that sounds like a damn good idea for training. Our TKD setup is just about the opposite; we spend more time focusing on getting the techniques done right, so they have good power and proper technique, and then learning how to apply them, when it wouldn't necessarily have to be done that way.

Am I the only one smelling something funny about earning a blue belt by video?

Not questioning the body of knowledge offered. But questioning the belt factory marketing.

You've missed the boat on this one. It's been around for several years now.

The process is far more difficult than you may expect. There are several videos online about it. It's not uncommon to fail the process many times before getting it right. Until BJJ schools are a dime a dozen like most other martial arts, this is likely to exist.

I begin to wonder if the resistance to the use of video examination like this has more to do with the desire to be tied to the old way of doing things than anything else. Its kind of like the way Major League Baseball has been slow in adopting the technologies available to help the umpires make the right calls. Instant replay has been good for the NFL, and they are exploring more options with cameras on the goalline for plays of such nature.

The thing is, we have great technologies available to us, and I don't see why if good instructors take a good system and do it the right way, like the way ps1 mentions that the Gracie's do it, is why not take advantage of it? Most of us have already taken the many advantages technology offers our lives already, why hold it back from MA training?

No, you still can't replace a good instructor from a good school. But if there are no schools or instructors available, then what do you do? So sorry, no luck for you? Bah! I have technology to help me learn!

The other arguement will be the "factories," or I guess what we could call a McVideo black belt, or something like that. Well, we can't even stop that from happening to actual schools, so that arguement doesn't really hold water. What remains is to search out the options of what's available, find the good stuff, and go with it.

Don't reject technology!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For better reference. Here's a link to a podcast transcript with Rener Gracie. The stuff about Gracie University is toward the bottom, although the whole thing is interesting.

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/12/06/rener-gracie-academy/

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for the link, ps1. Good read, indeed. Lots of good information in there. I like the idea behind the Gracie combatives, and it sounds great for those who aren't really looking to get into any kind of competition.

The explanation of Helio's philosophy is helpful in there, and relating how he used it to beat "giants," the sparring scenario with the blue belt lady, and how he talks about the scenario of fighting someone like Lesnar. Very good stuff. Thanks.