• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Little Rant

I will add to your rant -

We have one instructor at my dojo that I love to work out with. The problem is, he loves to pontificate when he teaches a class. When we do floor drills he will talk and talk while we stand in place frozen for exxxxxtended periods of time. We line up for a 15 min kicking exercise and he will talk about why we need to develop kicks for 10 min. At times during class it becomes very frustrating.

rant off

I'm with you there... He loves to do that, or while we're standing at attention to bow out. In my opinion, there's no place for kiddie philosophy in an adult class. Yet the instructor's views don't seem to go any deeper than a six year old could grasp.

I'd love to hear the real history, use and application of a movement or form. Just sick of the same old party-line cliched crap that could get you killed.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i hate the most is the that are graded past orange belt that STILL TALK. frustrating as hell whilst you're in line doing basics.

Were encouraged to communicate whilst doing other things but not in lines.. and it gets so blinking irritating when they talk and don;t hold a stance.

Brown belt - 3rd kyu in Higashi Karate Kai.

You can't win the race until you've joined the race

I will add to your rant -

We have one instructor at my dojo that I love to work out with. The problem is, he loves to pontificate when he teaches a class. When we do floor drills he will talk and talk while we stand in place frozen for exxxxxtended periods of time. We line up for a 15 min kicking exercise and he will talk about why we need to develop kicks for 10 min. At times during class it becomes very frustrating.

rant off

This is a great training tool....helps to build the leg muscles!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

No, it isn't any fun to work out with someone who can't keep up with you. However, I think a 15 minute jump rope requirement before being able to join a class is a bit extreme, as well. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. I do think its good for an instructor to be able to express the importance of being in good shape for the benefits of MA training. Like I posted in another thread, though, how much of this kind of conditioning should be allotted to class time? Balancing class time between physical training and conditioning and MA training is hard to do, and one is usually sacrificed for the other. The secret is making the MA part of the training good enough and intense enough to increase the physical training aspects of the activity.

I agree. The hyper-fitness that my old dojo had required for entry is a little excessive, since everyone of all fitness levels can benefit from solid instruction. and let's face it, grappling 3 times per week is going to get any student in top shape pretty quickly if they're serious at all about it.

but it also was a nice benefit when it came time to pair off and put in work on the mats.

but it also was a nice benefit when it came time to pair off and put in work on the mats.

I'd bet that was the case, for sure. I can see where some instructors would want to have some basic level of fitness, that way they don't have to worry about students keeping up with the rest of the class in some aspects. I can see the pros and cons of having such a requirement.

No, it isn't any fun to work out with someone who can't keep up with you. ...

I use this as a opportunity to practice "mikiri". If the drill is "Ipon kumite", and my opponent is weak, I step back from his attack at the last moment, and try to move the least distance without blocking. He finishes his strike an inch from from my face, or body,etc. When its my turn to attack, I study his reaction while being careful to stop a fraction of a inch away from the target.

There are many beginners who over reach, etc., and if you aren't careful when defending, you will get hit. In this way, practicing with a weak opponent can be fun.

Some times, one is talking during drills and the like because they're very nervous or scared or intimidated for one reason or another; I've seen this to be very true.

Whenever I see this, I'll pull that student aside for a quick moment to try to alleviate their built up stress by giving them a pep talk of encouragement. Afterwards, the unnecessary talk then takes a backseat and the hard training resumes.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...
An instructor should keep the talking to a mix 20% of the class time.

Its always better to impart pieces over the course of the section - rather than lose peoples interest.

We've all talked too much at some point!

I'm guilty!!

:dodgy:

**Proof is on the floor!!!