• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Little Rant

What bugs me is a training partner who wants to talk during training. I like to drill and put in the reps. I don't like it when my partner wants to talk and not rep as much. Or does a reps a few times, and then stops and waits around for the instructor to move on to next technique or sparring. It drives me nuts! I rather spend my time perfecting my technique not sitting around wasting time.

any one else driven nuts by this?

In private, ask your instructor to pair you up with less chatty people next time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you switch partners? Maybe you are too rough on him, and he doesn't want to work out with you. Just think of it as another variety of the kind of person you might meet in a fight. Besides, it gives you a chance to work on your mental attitude. Can't get upset in a fight, you got to stay cool.

nope not to rough on them at all. Just wanting to talk and not drill much. I can talk before or after class I prefer to train during class though. I think I will take ps1's advice and just avoid them. Yes we do change partners but usually thats when we roll. Drilling we stay with the same partner.

..nope not to rough on them at all. Just wanting to talk and not drill much. I can talk before or after class I prefer to train during class though. I think I will take ps1's advice and just avoid them. Yes we do change partners but usually that's when we roll. Drilling we stay with the same partner.

Ouch, that can be a problem, "staying with the same partner". Did you talk to him, and discuss your problem? If he persist, take him to Sensei to find a solution. Maybe Sensei can put two talkers together. You can't force your partner to do something he doesn't want to do.

Not many "talkers" in my dojo, but it drives me nuts when I have to partner up with someone that doesn't bother to remain in the best physical shape they can.

nothing is more of a buzzkill then rolling with someone that is constantly getting winded, or Judo matches with someone who hasn't bothered to cultivate any physical strength.

Before I ever even got to sign up at my original dojo, I was handed a jump rope and told to go for 15 minutes. I always stayed in good core-strength shape, but my lungs and legs were burning BAD around the 8 minute mark, and 10 minutes in I quit.

I spent the next 3 weeks ripping my cardio, and then still barely did the 15 minutes.

AT the time I thought it was just about showing how committed you were to learning this path, but now I totally understand the frustration at seriously out of shape people having to be catered to in a training environment.

The goal in "self defense" is to protect oneself. To this extent being in suitable physical shape in a fight is important, but when training, the goal is to get in shape mentally, and physically.

Training is not the same as fighting, and all partners represent all varieties of people. You can't hope to learn (train), if you resent your partner, and can't get along.

Not many "talkers" in my dojo, but it drives me nuts when I have to partner up with someone that doesn't bother to remain in the best physical shape they can.

nothing is more of a buzzkill then rolling with someone that is constantly getting winded, or Judo matches with someone who hasn't bothered to cultivate any physical strength.

Before I ever even got to sign up at my original dojo, I was handed a jump rope and told to go for 15 minutes. I always stayed in good core-strength shape, but my lungs and legs were burning BAD around the 8 minute mark, and 10 minutes in I quit.

I spent the next 3 weeks ripping my cardio, and then still barely did the 15 minutes.

AT the time I thought it was just about showing how committed you were to learning this path, but now I totally understand the frustration at seriously out of shape people having to be catered to in a training environment.

No, it isn't any fun to work out with someone who can't keep up with you. However, I think a 15 minute jump rope requirement before being able to join a class is a bit extreme, as well. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. I do think its good for an instructor to be able to express the importance of being in good shape for the benefits of MA training. Like I posted in another thread, though, how much of this kind of conditioning should be allotted to class time? Balancing class time between physical training and conditioning and MA training is hard to do, and one is usually sacrificed for the other. The secret is making the MA part of the training good enough and intense enough to increase the physical training aspects of the activity.

A little bit of conversation to explain technique is fine & necessary, but yeah, it irritates me when someone is chatting too much during class; even if or when the instructor talks during class too much. It makes me want to yell out - less talk - more action!! Argh!!

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

A little bit of conversation to explain technique is fine & necessary, but yeah, it irritates me when someone is chatting too much during class; even if or when the instructor talks during class too much. It makes me want to yell out - less talk - more action!! Argh!!
Agreed. A nice balance of explanation, reps, and corrections is what a good instructor needs to get the most out of his/her classes.

There are some people that come to one of the classes I train at that just don't do anything - they walk when they should be jogging in the warm up, don't stretch, don't do line work fully, talk all the time through pad work, and then sit out of sparring. I don't get why they show up at all!

I hate getting paired up with people like that. No amount of cajoling changes them either. We cycle partners a lot so it doesn't massively impact my training, but it's still annoying. I spoke to Sensei about it, and he does try to push those people a bit, but after a few weeks it just goes back to the same old stuff. I console myself by figuring that they'll start failing gradings soon (we have a lot of leeway in the early Kyu grades, but then it starts getting harsh, as it should be IMO), and maybe that will either wake them up or make them quit.

Lazy people who do nothing whenever their instructors are not on top of them, and who show no respect? They do annoy me, heh.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.