• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Little Rant

What bugs me is a training partner who wants to talk during training. I like to drill and put in the reps. I don't like it when my partner wants to talk and not rep as much. Or does a reps a few times, and then stops and waits around for the instructor to move on to next technique or sparring. It drives me nuts! I rather spend my time perfecting my technique not sitting around wasting time.

any one else driven nuts by this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bugs me is a training partner who wants to talk during training. I like to drill and put in the reps. I don't like it when my partner wants to talk and not rep as much. Or does a reps a few times, and then stops and waits around for the instructor to move on to next technique or sparring. It drives me nuts! I rather spend my time perfecting my technique not sitting around wasting time.

any one else driven nuts by this?

I don't mind talking, but I do mind not training. Martial arts training is fun for me and for the people I train with, so we will talk a bit while we train--never while the instructor is speaking or demonstrating, of course, or when we are working something full-speed, full-power (awfully hard to talk when you're busy breathing :P).

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

OSU,

Some of the other women in my class like to chat quietly. I don't mind that, so long as we're still drilling, and drilling properly. I also don't mind not speaking. Standing around though, I don't go in for that unless they are having difficulty and need a break, which I can certainly understand.

If the talking makes the training suffer, however, that's not so cool.

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Talk all you want, just as long as the talk is about what we're drilling, and we better be drilling with content. Idle chatter drives me goofy.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You'll have that. It's quite annoying. The best thing you can do is identify those who do this and never train with them. Or you could be quite blunt and remind them that you pay money to train...you can talk anytime. Remember that there are different reasons people join martial arts. Some do it purely for the socialization aspect. It's very annoying...but true.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I've seen that. The DT club at our college has been guilty of that a few times, and it can be frustrating. I had to harp on the students at class the other day a bit about it, too. They did the reps I told them, but as I was getting around to help others, some were loafing. I told them to get more in.

Yeah, it bugs me. I don't mind discussion of the tactic being drilled, but useless banter annoys me. I also dislike the loss of repetition that it creates. There are a limited amount of training hours available for me in a week. That means a very limited amount of reps to improve. I can't waste ANY if I want to progress at the rate i want. Talking during rep time is a major impediament to that.

Don't you switch partners? Maybe you are too rough on him, and he doesn't want to work out with you. Just think of it as another variety of the kind of person you might meet in a fight. Besides, it gives you a chance to work on your mental attitude. Can't get upset in a fight, you got to stay cool.

I will add to your rant -

We have one instructor at my dojo that I love to work out with. The problem is, he loves to pontificate when he teaches a class. When we do floor drills he will talk and talk while we stand in place frozen for exxxxxtended periods of time. We line up for a 15 min kicking exercise and he will talk about why we need to develop kicks for 10 min. At times during class it becomes very frustrating.

rant off