• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on in your grappling training?

I need to work on armbars and submissions. I know how to get to side control, but then my lack of submissions kills me. I also need to work on scissor sweeps and butterfly guard!

"It's not about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

It's not the skill, it's the HEART.

White Belt, June 2011. Yellow Belt, August 2011.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's all kinds of things to work on. Just remember, like ps1 said elsewhere, you're still very young in your grappling career. Really focus on position far more than subs. Subs will come, but only when your position is unassailable. Shoot for that first. Your position IS your submission. If you can take position, and maintain it, subs will flow from there later.

There's all kinds of things to work on. Just remember, like ps1 said elsewhere, you're still very young in your grappling career. Really focus on position far more than subs. Subs will come, but only when your position is unassailable. Shoot for that first. Your position IS your submission. If you can take position, and maintain it, subs will flow from there later.

very true. agh, I'll just going to have to keep at it! ;)

"It's not about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

It's not the skill, it's the HEART.

White Belt, June 2011. Yellow Belt, August 2011.

I saw the link I figured that was Andreh Anderson's article. Andreh is a good dude! Read about others experiences of Rickson's seminars on MMA.tv also. I would love to attend one of his seminars. I got a couple of privates from one of Rickson's Black Belts before it was good. I would love to do some with Henry Akins or Rickson himself, especially on weight application, and tips on tightening up my basics, more efficent bridges/upa's and shrimping, escapes, and other basic techniques.

Thanks for reposting the article ps1 I plan on reading it. How is the connection training for for you?

Good Artilcle PS1 I hope Andreh does more last I heard from him, there was 7 pages worth of notes he was taking on the seminar. He did the best I think in describing a Rickson Seminar. I would love to go to one of his. I would like to feel what he means by it. I am still so working on mechanics of techniques that developing the sensitivity, timing, control is far away from me. Be nice when it clicks

Thanks for reposting the article ps1 I plan on reading it. How is the connection training for for you?

Slow at best, but jiu-jitsu is a marathon not a sprint. I'm lucky enough to have Pedro Sauer as one of my teachers. He's spent more time on the mat with Rickson than almost anyone else. So he's able to translate alot of the ideas to us. On top of that, I have several training partners that went to train with Rickson a couple times. So I understand the concept, but making it happen in every position is difficult.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Finding and creating a connection to my opponent.

If you don't know what I mean, read below.

http://jiujitsumania.com/technique/accelerated-learning/rickson-gracie-seminar-making-the-invisible-visible/

in my honest opinion i feel that this comes soley with practice :) :karate:

as for me anyways... ive been working/just finishing kata gatame escapes, mainly including the bridge escape.

id like to start learning ocuri eri jime LOL :kaioken:

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

Finding and creating a connection to my opponent.

If you don't know what I mean, read below.

http://jiujitsumania.com/technique/accelerated-learning/rickson-gracie-seminar-making-the-invisible-visible/

in my honest opinion i feel that this comes soley with practice :) :karate:

as for me anyways... ive been working/just finishing kata gatame escapes, mainly including the bridge escape.

id like to start learning ocuri eri jime LOL :kaioken:

Yeah...I agree. But it's something more. Until you're exposed to it, you don't even know it's missing. I've trained with several world champs (Saulo, Mario Sperry, Andre Galvao) and they all tell me that Rickson has a way with Jiu-Jitsu that is unbelievable. Rickson says it's because of the connection...so that's what I'm working on. Finding a way to connect to the opponent and maintain it from start to finish. For now, I have to find it in each individual position, which includes submissions and transitions as well. Then I'll have to learn how to flow from one position to the next without losing that connection. I figure it should only take me about 20 more years...lol...and that's what's so great about jiu-jitsu.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very nice! That is awesome you got people who trained with him. Closest I got and I need to make the treck out to Cali. Is Henry Akins. I heard nothing but good things about him.

So do you train in VA with Pedro or are you in Utah? I hope all training is going well. Not sure how the connectino thing is going for me. I feel its more advanced. I am still working on basic mechanics of mvoes, and putting them in combo's, getting my timing, down ect...