• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you working on in your grappling training?

Very nice! That is awesome you got people who trained with him. Closest I got and I need to make the trek out to Cali. Is Henry Akins. I heard nothing but good things about him.

So do you train in VA with Pedro or are you in Utah? I hope all training is going well. Not sure how the connection thing is going for me. I feel its more advanced. I am still working on basic mechanics of moves, and putting them in combo's, getting my timing, down ect...

I'm actually one of his affiliates in Ohio. I travel to VA and we bring him in twice per year. Been with Pedro for going on 8 years now.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been grappling for over 4 decades, and if there's anything that I'm working on now is 'Grappling For Those Over 50', not a real title, that I know of.

Being over 50 gives me a reason to take a honest pause as to possibly adapt a methodology/ideology that can "FIT ME" on the floor. Do I need to be more concerned with a lessened strength in my grips/holds? Do I need to be more concerned with my not blowing-up? Do I need to be more concerned with my bones possibly becoming more brittle?

I feel quite solid in my grappling skills STILL!! But to avoid/ignore my age and the problems that I might be facing as a practitioner of the martial arts is...well...for me, STUPID to do so.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've been grappling for over 4 decades, and if there's anything that I'm working on now is 'Grappling For Those Over 50', not a real title, that I know of.

Being over 50 gives me a reason to take a honest pause as to possibly adapt a methodology/ideology that can "FIT ME" on the floor. Do I need to be more concerned with a lessened strength in my grips/holds? Do I need to be more concerned with my not blowing-up? Do I need to be more concerned with my bones possibly becoming more brittle?

I feel quite solid in my grappling skills STILL!! But to avoid/ignore my age and the problems that I might be facing as a practitioner of the martial arts is...well...for me, STUPID to do so.

This is a problem that many people run into. They are so used to depending on strength and speed in their grappling that their "skills" suffer as they age. That's why BJJ practitioners spend so much time on being fluid and training the very basics of the techniques. The "connection" I'm speaking of will put you in a position of leverage over your opponent no matter what the size or position. Most of the original Gracie children are now over 50, yet none have a problem handling younger grapplers because of their perfection in the basics. It's good you recognize your weaknesses and address them now.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

This is a problem that many people run into. They are so used to depending on strength and speed in their grappling that their "skills" suffer as they age. That's why BJJ practitioners spend so much time on being fluid and training the very basics of the techniques. The "connection" I'm speaking of will put you in a position of leverage over your opponent no matter what the size or position. Most of the original Gracie children are now over 50, yet none have a problem handling younger grapplers because of their perfection in the basics. It's good you recognize your weaknesses and address them now.

I understand what you're saying, and I fear that I've painted an unfavorable picture of my current grappling abilities. I've no problem with handling younger grapplers either; my basics are solid across the board. I don't depend on strength and/or speed; my Tuite skills do require me to grab/grip my opponents limb, and in that, I must control them, even if it's for just a split second, and most opponents are not to keen to being controlled through Tuite grabs/grips.

Leverage is important in the MA, therefore I don't suffer in that area either. My questions were more of a curious ponder than one of reality. I've not reached an advanced age yet, so I've no experience in the possibilities that might lie before me.

I'll say that your grip strength hasn't suffered any, Bob. I've never seen anyone with a grip like that before. Very unnerving to be grabbed like that!

I'll say that your grip strength hasn't suffered any, Bob. I've never seen anyone with a grip like that before. Very unnerving to be grabbed like that!

Thanks Brian!! My grip has served me very well all of my years.

In closing, I'm sure that there might be a lot of things that we worked on together those two productive days that we've missed the mark in describing/explaining ourselves in any said technique; I guess, one had to have been there to appreciate it.

Yeah, it would be tough to relate everything we touched on. Some things we did briefly, and some extensively. But, very productive overall.

I need to work on armbars and submissions. I know how to get to side control, but then my lack of submissions kills me. I also need to work on scissor sweeps and butterfly guard!

Just today I used an armbar from kesa ketame. I didn't go all the way around but I just took my forward leg and pulled from there... It's pretty effective just a suggestion cuz even if they don't tap u don't gotta worry about that arm getting out and being bridged

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

Thats neat you been with Pedro he is a great instructor. For which me saying that is a mass understatement. Pedro is phenominal! Which you already know.

Yeah I don't really understand connection concept. I would like to feel what Rickson is getting at with it. I am thinking of Andre's review regarding the basic armbar from guard. I believe the conection is the feel of each postion or transitino to the actal armbar and the ability to gain leverage from it and the right timing to move from each one. Just more work on the basics and alot more mat time.

I am focusing on attacking from the guard more.... Right now though I am focusing on guard control, and guard recovery. Usually I Feel I am on the defensive with me focusing more on fighting some one who is trying to pass my guard, as opposed to actually threating them with a sweep or submission. So I have been working on guard control more so I can work on attacking better.

Same here. I'm really bad when it comes to being a threat from guard. But we don't get a lot of practice in ground work. So I have to focus on one aspect at a time until I can put them all together.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.